Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent this afternoon working on a stub barrel. First one I have attempted. My donor barrel is a 12 gauge - would have rather had a 20 gauge but I am working with what I could find. Since it is so thin, I am planning on using epoxy to hold the barrel in place. I have bored out the rim recess a little deeper so it sould be well captured between the breech and the barrel recess. Got the barrel cut back and the liner rough turned so far - here are a few photos showing where I'm at so far - the barrel is a 30 cal going to try chambering it for 32 H&R mag (I know it is undersized but I understand that both Thompson Center and Ruger used .308 barrels for 32 H&R so I thought I'd give it a try).

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
Looks good. Epoxy will hold that just fine. The way you did it, it couldn't possibly come out anyway. I've come to the conclusion that threading for anything that is likely to be stubbed is overkill.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Actually that should work out fine for you. Might need to use a 30 cal factory crimp die and .310 to .311 cast or .309 jacketed.

Hunt the pawn shops, and tell them your looking for a 20 ga H&R barrel, or a H&R 20 ga that is currently not in working condition.

You should be able to haggle them down a fair bit. I found a complete handi 20 ga in like new condition, hardly fired for 75$ a few years back.

That stubb should make a nice walking around rifle/garden gun. Great for squirrels, rabbits, and varmints.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Nice looking machine work. Please keep us in the loop on how this goes. Having done a stint as a machinist, in my younger days, I 'd say you are doing good work and things should turn out just fine. Take care, John.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You're going to have fun with that. I love my 12ga./44-40 stub Topper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rushcreek - I certainly hope so! I had a little time to take it a step further tonight - I faced off the end of the blank and roughed in the chamber. Need to clean up the rim recess but the rest came out really good. Not using a chamber reamer - there was a post here a while back about using standard machinist reamers to cut a .32 chamber - I found the reamers that I needed used on ebay and picked them up pretty cheap - finally getting the chance to play with them. I cut the rim on the lathe along with reaming the chamber.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
A .223 extractor/ejector might work with mods and a .22 Hornet surely would. It would probably be easier than building up the 12 gauge one to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
ok..... you're killing me.....I've had this metal lathe for a few years (an old southbend). Now I need to learn how to use it....and fast. I'm wanting to do one as well. Great work btw

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok..... you're killing me.....I've had this metal lathe for a few years (an old southbend). Now I need to learn how to use it....and fast. I'm wanting to do one as well. Great work btw

Thanks - I'm certainly an amateur with a lathe - this is my first major project. So far I'm happy with what I have been able to do. Take it slow and play with the basic operations on scrap to get a feel for the process.

The ejector will be fun - now I need to find a 223 or 22 Hornet ejector - as was mentioned by Rushcreek. Otherwise Ill need to figure out how to extend the 12 gauge ejector. Not impossible but it would be a little tedious.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Making progress - got the recess and shoulder matched up on the breech end and cut the barrel off just in front of the stud - may taper the cut for a nicer look (personal opinion, I know) Here are pics after tonight's stint in the shop - I'm pretty damned happy with things so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Nice looking project. Going to epoxy or silver solder into place?

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll use epoxy -

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Uhuh, that should work just fine. Color me green with envy.

Been wanting a H&R in .32 H&R mag that would shoot .32sw longs well.

Reckon that one might do it.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wanted to leave a little room for epoxy but not too much - (in other words I'm guessing on what I need!). I have about .005 at the barrel end and about .015 at the chamber end. I hope to get the ejector cut done today and look into the ejector modifications - maybe look at drawing up the ejector to make one from scratch.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Worked on the outside finish of the barrel, cleaning up the stub, and final fitting - actually test fired it today with factory 32 S&W (sounded about like a 22 lol) and a 32 H&R reload with 85 grain bullet - both fired just fine - this fits my Calssic Carbine receiver just about perfect. I went ahead and put some cold blue on the outside before gluing it up with JB Weld. It is now hanging in the closed waiting 15 to 24 very long hours before I can do anything else.I may take a couple photos later after it has had time to set up a little - don't want to disturb the joint until it has had some time start curing.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Work from today -

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts