Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you get a 24'' or 28'' turkey barrel in 3'' or 3.5'' with a scope mount, or drilled for a scope mount, for use with a red dot scope? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
51,154 Posts
No, it's too big. None of the 12ga smoothbores are drilled and tapped, just the rifled barrels.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
51,154 Posts
That's why H&R won't do it, the barrel is too thin, some have epoxied a base on them tho. I think if I were going to do it, I'd drilled and tap one hole for a recoil lug, then JB Weld an H&R base on. ;) Any gunsmith could do that for ya, or if you're the DIY type, you could do it too, wouldn't be that hard. Hardest part would be getting the hole perfectly in the center, and that wouldn't be too critical for a short range firearm like a turkey gun.

Tim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By recoil lug, I guess you're referring to a shallow screw for the purpose of keeping the momentum from the recoil causing the scope from moving, and eventually breaking loose. I guess this would need to be closer to the chamber opening, so as not to be where the highest pressures are. I'm very familiar with the use of a tap and die set, but I've never tried any gunsmith type work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts