Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
From what I've read, all factory TC .223 barrels were 1:12" twist, and most say the top weight they'll stabilize is 55grs, but you have to remember that each barrel/gun is different, so yours may or may not shoot the 60gr bullets well. If it was me, I'd try it and see. Another factor is that the whole twist thing is dependent more on length of the bullet than weight, so a shorter 60gr may work, while a longer one may not. I have a 14" 1:12" .223 and am experimenting with 55-70gr bullets hoping I stumble on one if actually likes, but having little success. I'll keep trying though and see what happens. Besides, any bullet that is too long to shoot in my TC works fine in my 1:9" bolt gun.

EDIT: Sorry, meant little success with bullets over 60grs, but anything 55 and under is great, and the 60s are giving iffy groups, but give an occasional good one too so giving me hope.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
In my TC 223 barrels anything over 55 grns. do what I call tail drag and leaves a lopsided hole but not a key hole type, my 1 in 9 shoots all weights great.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Everything I have ever seen, including stuff put out by TC itself, said all their .223 Rem barrels were 1:12". Do you have something that says they're 1:10" or other twists? That would be great news to me, as it would just make them more versatile.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes, simply go the the TC website, and check the rifle bbls and the pistol bbls twist rates. They show the difference. I also send a email inquiry to TC and asked about it. They verified back by email this info that pistol bbls are tighter than carbine bbls. Wallacem in Ga

1 - 7 of 7 Posts