Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son joined the guys for a post-Thanksgiving hunt this weekend.
Picture perfect day on Friday in Michigan's Thumb.
Cold, crisp and clear with 2" - 3" of fresh snow clinging to every branch in the woods.

After pondering for a while, I decided to take him and the Sidekick (rather than his shotgun) out for the evening hunt.
Eventhough he had never shot a muzzleloader before, I was confident it would perform in the field as accurately as it did at the range.

About 4:30, by far not the biggest, nor the smallest deer in the woods popped out at about 40 yds.
Ultimately I left it up to him, but I told him it was more than acceptable for his first deer, it was standing broadside,
daylight and the snow were on our side and a better opportunity might not come along on the following day.

What I didn't intentionally tell him was about all the smoke generated after shooting a muzzleloader.
All he needed to know up to that point was just to aim, hold steady and squeeze the trigger.

After the smoke cleared his first words were: "where did it go ?"
Well the fresh snow made it easy to answer that question as it lay just a short distance away.

The Sidekick delivered a perfectly placed shot for its and and my son's first deer.
I hope there's many more to follow for the both of them!

·
Registered
23 Posts
MI.sabot...Congrats on the sons deer.

I concur on the weather right now- the deer have really been on the move...I've been patiently waiting for the snow but I tagged out so it's time to start focusing on the yote's!!!

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Congratulations to you both. Hopefully the first of many! ;D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'm anxious to get a crack at something myself next weekend when the ML season opens.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Live in Macomb Twp., hunt about 10 miles south of Bad Axe.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Congrats to your son! Hope that both of ya have many more days afield. I live in Mt. Clemens and hunt around you in the Minden City State game area around Cumber Rd and Veronna. Small world, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
I hunted that morning. that was a real pretty morning & cold . Michigan is awsome this time of year

1 - 9 of 9 Posts