Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a bore/throat diameter measurements on my '51 & 61 Navy's and '62 Police Uberti's. The throats measured .371.5, .373 and .3735 respectively. The bores (land to land) measured .359, .3605 & .359, again respectively. These measurements were made with pin gauges and I'm fairly confident in their accuracy. I slugged the bores and they measured, groove to groove, as .3765, .377 and .378. I am less sure of those measurements.

Uberti specs say that the bore is .360 and the grove diameter is .379. Has anyone else checked the grove to grove diameter on their uberti's?

What's the consensus on a round ball bumping up from a throat diameter of say .373 to a grove diameter of Uberti's claimed .379? Or my measured .377 +/-

My thoughts here concern reaming the throats out to more closely match the groove diameter.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I’m curious too. Are you shooting black or a substitute? Would be interesting to capture a few bullets and see what happens.

·
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m curious too. Are you shooting black or a substitute? Would be interesting to capture a few bullets and see what happens.
All I shoot is Holy Black. When subs first came out I tried each one as they appeared... :tango_face_sad: Then I realized I was spending all that time, effort and money looking for something that was as good as what I started with! :rolleyes: In my experience the only sub that ever came close to BP is Triple 7.

Anyway, I don't know how I'd capture a fired ball that didn't get all smushed up in the stopping. :tango_face_grin:

·
9,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something like that might work... Once I settle on a standard load for each revolver I'll try to come up with something. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
How does it actually shoot? I have a Uberti "El Patron" in .45 Colt and it is about as good as it gets. The pictured target is from the Uberti "El Patron" model right out of the box at 50' two hand free hold. Three touching and two close by with a six O'Clock hold. Mag-Tec 230 grain.

GuzziJohn

Attachments

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Anyway, I don't know how I'd capture a fired ball that didn't get all smushed up in the stopping. :tango_face_grin:
Try a bucket of water. If that doesn't slow it down enough, use a barrel or even a swimming pool. Shooting into the water of course, NOT into the side of the bucket! :tango_face_surprise

~WH~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts