Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to share this (Buckstix DIY Mountain Howitzer build). However, found that some have issues with his barrel build! Anyone with any experience on this / links to other sites? I was thinking that this would be a neat "gatekeeper" sometime down the line! Any info appreciated.

·
7,217 Posts
How to build depends a lot on what kind of machinery and tooling you have available or are willing to buy. It is best to drill the bore from solid but that is the most machine intensive process. You also need to consider how heavy the finished piece is going to be and select your scale with your ability to move it in mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that his reported barrel weight (226 lb.'s) be about all I'd be willing to mess with (hence, my choice was a mt. howitzer rather than a full Napoleon barrel). Tools yet to be determined.

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, shred, didn't know that "BuckStix" was that controversial (didn't see any threads mentioning him or his plans). I'll go read those threads you posted now! Have to agree his use of the mt. howitzer for juvenile "stunts" wrong (which is why I posted link to barrel building rather than "prepubescent idiocy",) but, the question of whether or not method of trunnion mounting detailed by him is valid?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I liked buckstix idea of triple brass plating it for $150. I thought that would be best of both worlds, strong as steel but correct looking with brass plate. So i called about ten metal finishers, only one even did brass and they wanted $2000 ! :eek:

·
7,217 Posts
... the question of whether or not method of trunnion mounting detailed by him is valid?

Here is what I wrote in one of those threads about this:

I always cut a pocket in the barrel for the trunnions instead of contouring them to fit the barrel. Usually the barrel is tapered but the contour is not so the trunnions are not exactly parallel; they are perpendicular to the tapered surface instead.You can correct for this when machining but you still have a thin spot in the rimbase at the point where you get the most tension/compression from recoil. Using a pocket makes the rimbase much thicker at that point.

·
Super Moderator
16,991 Posts
I believe part of the description of the welding process on that website was changed after a discussion here. The part that appears in green about preheat is what I am referring to.

I believe that was added later.

I have never been comfortable with the slip breech plug in this gun. I know from checking my own slip fit breech plugs used in the K.I.S.S. mortars that moisture can and will penetrate between th two pieces of metal. Rust-corrosion will form.

It is my practice to periodically remove the breech plug from mortars and check. This can not be done with the Buck stix design.

The the thin chamber wall made by the relief for welding bothers me also.

I also have the same reservations about trunnion attachment, that George has. This is where the brunt of recoil is absorbed. Trunnions must be strong!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.