Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a Walther Pk 380. The 'k' refers to 'kompact' in Walther speak. It is not as small or compact as the tiny pocket rockets, like the lcp, is but it conceals very easily and very nicely. It is also very easy to shoot. I believe that of all the Walther 380s and 32s I have owned, PPs, PPKs and the PPK/S have all been thumb biters, the PPK and of course, the PPK/S. The PP was a dream to shoot but all the PP/PPK series are solid steel and built better than the Ruger made revolvers, imo. This Pk 380 is lightweight, very easy to shoot, much more ergonomic than the PPK/PPK/S series and accurate. A buddy picked up a slightly used PPK for $600 and has the typical 'thumb' complaint. He went through two boxes of reloads in my Pk and was sold on it. I think it is a primo carry piece.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a Walther Pk 380. The 'k' refers to 'kompact' in Walther speak. It is not as small or compact as the tiny pocket rockets, like the lcp, is but it conceals very easily and very nicely. It is also very easy to shoot. I believe that of all the Walther 380s and 32s I have owned, PPs, PPKs and the PPK/S have all been thumb biters, the PPK and of course, the PPK/S. The PP was a dream to shoot but all the PP/PPK series are solid steel and built better than the Ruger made revolvers, imo. This Pk 380 is lightweight, very easy to shoot, much more ergonomic than the PPK/PPK/S series and accurate. A buddy picked up a slightly used PPK for $600 and has the typical 'thumb' complaint. He went through two boxes of reloads in my Pk and was sold on it. I think it is a primo carry piece.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'thumb biters.'

The Walther PPK I shot years ago seemed to be a nice almost mild shooter. They were steel frame wern't they?

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by 'thumb biters.'

The Walther PPK I shot years ago seemed to be a nice almost mild shooter. They were steel frame wern't they?
If you shoot with the web of you hand in the high position the slide can cut you thumb or the web of you hand.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I like my S&W mod 38 airweight. I don't shoot a ton of ammo through it just enough to stay descent with it. I also like a Kimber K6 . Holds 6 weights enough to tame recoil . Fits in holsters that my 38 will. I have trouble with the slide at times due to nerve damage so the revolver works best.
If you have trouble with working a slide how is a larger gun with maybe a stronger spring going to cure the problem ? Check out the Kimber 2 inch bbl. Or three inch the come with hammer exposed or not. Best double action trigger out the box I have seen

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just shot My new LCP 2 100 rounds no trouble, shot hollow points and FMJ. Because I live in a hot part of the country IWB carry will print most of the time, I need a pocket gun and if it goes thru another 200 rounds with no trouble this will be My carry. I thank I have found a really good gun I can trust.

so

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've carried an LCP w/ a Crimson Trace for many years now. It's in my pocket (DeSantis holster) when I get dressed and stays there most of the time- because it is so small and unobtrusive. Carrying a decent size gun is a PITA, especially during hot weather. Wintertime is a lot easier and I then carry my .45 Colt Commander under heavier clothing depending on where I am going. I see a lot of people get bigger carry guns and then never carry them because they are not discreet and hard to conceal. The .380 isn't the best choice for a defensive load but it's a heck of a lot better than whatever you have back at home.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just shot My new LCP 2 100 rounds no trouble, shot hollow points and FMJ. Because I live in a hot part of the country IWB carry will print most of the time, I need a pocket gun and if it goes thru another 200 rounds with no trouble this will be My carry. I thank I have found a really good gun I can trust.

so
I just got to 400 rounds on my LCP and its been ball peen hammer reliable with Winchester white box, Remington, Federal, CCI/Blazer. I bought one box of Agulla stuff as it was 11 dollars at Academy Sports. Ya gets what ya pays for!. It was jun ammo and Had three fault ejects with the 50 rounds of that 'stuff.' The stuff didn't have the oomph to rack the slide all the way back on firing.

Don't use Agulla.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I keep hearing that folks don't like the LCP and don't shoot it well. At least that is the folks being truthful with themselves. Some people buy a gun and claim it's the best in the world no matter how bad it actually is. They refuse to admit they made a bad purchase. Without having all the .44 Magnum shooters chiming in, a .380 can be unpleasant to shoot. In your circumstances, I would suggest a larger .380 , like a Bersa. Custom grips can help also. I have had good luck by putting some epoxy putty on my grips and squeezing it to the shape of my hand. Then paint it with brown texture paint.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I keep hearing that folks don't like the LCP and don't shoot it well. At least that is the folks being truthful with themselves. Some people buy a gun and claim it's the best in the world no matter how bad it actually is. They refuse to admit they made a bad purchase.
You mean like Glock fans? Awful trigger, terrible grip angle....but best gun ever. BMW and Winnebago owners fall in this category also me thinks.

You know, those that fall into that category probably have a pride issue and have a hard time admitting they are wrong or have made a mistake.

On the flip side, there are those that complain about everything and then buy it again...

Rosewood

·
Registered
791 Posts
Here is my take on the issue, these smaller guns are intended to be concealed, not out in the open. I have a Springfield Armory XDS, 3.3'' barrel in .45ACP. I shoot several magazines of ammo whenever I get to the range, then I switch to my full sized Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer Operator. The 1911 is my ''Range'' gun that I shoot for pleasure, the XDS is my EDC and will always be the one I have, when I am out and about. We need to keep in mind the compact guns are for concealed carry and are not intended as range guns. Just my take on the issue. Take care, John.:tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Here is my take on the issue, these smaller guns are intended to be concealed, not out in the open. I have a Springfield Armory XDS, 3.3'' barrel in .45ACP. I shoot several magazines of ammo whenever I get to the range, then I switch to my full sized Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer Operator. The 1911 is my ''Range'' gun that I shoot for pleasure, the XDS is my EDC and will always be the one I have, when I am out and about. We need to keep in mind the compact guns are for concealed carry and are not intended as range guns. Just my take on the issue. Take care, John.:tango_face_smile:

I agree 100%.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ill meet you half way on that. I carry a 9mm LC9s. Its a little bigger then the smaller .380's but still conceals well and has more to hang on to when you shoot it. I can hide it very well in shorts and a tee shirt. I shoot it well and it has more pop when there is a problem. To each their own.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I grew up with guns, but in the city kid kind of way. Small guns, mouse guns as they are called now, the small pocket pistols for the sole use of self defense. Little .22's, .25's, the occasional .32acp in something like a war souvenir Walther PP or PPK, or Mauser HSc. Still compact but with enough weight to soak up enough recoil that they were actually pleasant guns to shoot. In other language, the .380 used to be a mid size compact coat pocket size gun. If your coat had big pockets.

Recent events has made me stop and rethink my EDC carry gun. For over thirty years I've been a fan of the tiny North American Arms mini .22 revivers. One has been in my pocket for a very long time and a very large amount of miles. It's been a backpacking gun, my fishing gun, my dinner out with my wife of over 4 decades gun, my take the grandkids to the zoo gun, canoe on the Potomac river gun, and many other uses. For the close range role of self defense at bad breath range which is where most assault take place, it's been fine.

But the amount of mass shootings has to me, put a new dynamic on self defense. My little derringer size mini revolvers are fine for an attempted car jacking like I had just after dawn on Sunday morning Memorial Day weekend of 2017. In the close confines of a rest room on interstate 10 by Ft. Hancock Texas, it was fine. But for the longer range, of say the house wares isle at Walmart, it may be a bit inadequate.

So, I bought a Ruger LCP.

I've been to the range now twice with the LCP, and put a white box of 100 rounds of Winchester each time. I can shoot it just fine, on a half size B29 silhouette at 7 yards I can keep them where it's gonna hurt. Some in the 10 ring, some in the 8 and 9 ring, a few I'm not proud of. Bill Jordan I ain't.

But the thing I wonder about is, how long with I be able to to that? I'm 68 years old, have some ostio arthritis issues in my hands due to 30 years of cranking on Bridgeport mills and Hardinge lathes for a living. My Doctor has x-rayed my hands and the base joints of both thumbs and smoother joints on index fingers and elsewhere have issues. He says it's normal for a guy maybe and ex-profession and just take some ibuprofen or the meds he prescribed. He's at the VA hospital in Austin where I get my health care, so the meds are free.

The gun is snappy, not near as bad as the aluminum frame air weight S&W 637 I sold. That thing killed my hand after had a 50 round box, yet I can shoot 100 rounds of the .38o with some minor pain. But enough pain that the next day my hands are still bit sore. Pain on flexing o the fingers and difficulty in small jobs like doing things for my granddaughter out in the work shop. I can see I a few years I will not be able to handle the snappy little LCP. It's even hard to rack the slide after several mags of ammo through it fairly rapidly.

I guess I'm reminiscing about all the little .25's that have come and gone, like the little Baur .25 that was pleasant to shoot. The Beretta .25 jet fire I fall down a lot from kicking myself in the butt for selling it. Also a fun gun to shoot. These new age polymer pocket size .380's are not the nice guns to shoot that the old PP and PPK's and Colt pocket models were. I miss the little .25's. Yes, they make a .380 the size of the old .25's, but is that a good thing?

I'm wondering if I have come to some sort of crossroads, or enlightenment, where I release that if I don't carry a tiny mouse gun, then just bite the bullet and get a good carry rig for a full size gun like a Glock 19 or equivalent?

The idea of a compact .380 thats big enough to be comfortable to shoot seems self defeating. If I'm going to wear a holster to conceal a .380, then why not just go for a 9mm?

Tiny truly pocket size mouse gun or near full size gun in high ride pancake rig. The in-between stuff seems to be an awkward solution to a problem.
I hated a Beretta M85 that I owned. My wife loves her Kahr P380.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts