Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I tried one about 5 years ago to grab onto a rusted and rounded square operating nut on a 100 year old valve. It just didn't grip. Being rounded to start with and frozen solid with rust was too much to ask of the little round pins to grab. We finally dug the old valve up and used a pipe wrench to bust it free.

I think these work for lite duty applications only FWIW.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
It may have some limited usefulness, but definitely nothing heavy duty. Did you notice how much it wobbled in the demonstration when he didn't get it perfectly centered?

Probably would work good to round off the head of a hex bolt that was stuck really hard!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I bought one, Gator Grip $14 I think, to keep in my truck, when it first came out years ago. It works pretty good for standard use, not really for rusted on or rounded off bolts as it just doesn't get great torque. It does good for deep socket purposes and for when the mfgs, mix metric and standard nuts. It's not meant for people that already have good tool sets and a place to keep them, it's more for those that have limited space, I kept it in my RV at first, now it's just in a junk drawer, but I won't get rid of it, and still use it now and then.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know. I am deeply skeptical of wrenches. 10mm? Well 10mm according to who? Craftsman, snap on, bmw, Honda, fiat, hyundai, el cheapo? They're all different enough to matter when bolts are on too tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts