Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bit of a problem with **** unsetting blind mink sets. The sets were made along a vertical bank with a water depth of an inch - two inches. I was setting just for mink, but it was warm enough for the **** to run. Everything was iced over except for these little pockets (springs) along the bank. 4 spots in total. Since I set for mink I hugged the traps to the banks with the dog out to the water side. I tried the dog guide stick but it caused the water to freeze up so I quit that. I had 6 sets guarding this small area. all were blind sets except one that was a natural pocket. Almost every day, most of the blind sets would be unset and I would have a **** in the pocket set when the **** ran this area. I did take a **** in one of the blind sets. With all the unsets, I figured this was just blind luck. How can you set for both **** and mink or can you on a vertical bank with the conditions I stated?? Thanks!!

Tim

·
Registered
552 Posts
You are never going to keep **** out of mink sets, esp at this time of year. Best preotection is to bracket your mink sets with poxcket sets made delibrately for ****. I trap both for several months during the winter and I have pretty good success doing it this way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Either that or only set small body grip traps. Anything else be prepared to dance with some ****. :shock:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
**** vs Mink sets

Yep Steve has the right info. When an area has alot of muskrats where you are going to trap mink you gang set heavily till you take majority of rat population and then you can pull some sets that you dont need and just leave the mink sets. This applies for **** also. At the pockets you can arrange three drowner cables with three traps. You have a trap just before pocket on each side and your reg pocket set trap set where you want it. When **** comes along he can get caught in either trap before pocket and you have pocket ready yet for mink. This is theory but i have had three ***** at once, one ****, one muskrat and one mink at once also. It just depends upon furbearers that happen upon yr sets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.