Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a CVA Hawken the other day as part of a package deal. I wasn't interested in it so I didn't even look it over till last night. So here's what looks different to me from othe CVA's Ive had. Much nicer piece of wood, scroll work on the side lock and hammer, side lock is blued not case hardened, tip of hammer has a outward curve to it, bluing is really nice, patchbox and side lock fitting is perfect with no gaps between wood and metal. This seems like a higher quality rifle than the ordinary CVA, anybody have any ideas or thoughts about it?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Any markings on it? Looks more like a T/C Cherokee to me. What’s the caliber?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks. Nice looking rifle, never saw one like that. I didn’t notice the drum and nipple arrangement, either. Sorry. I wonder if it could be a restocked rifle?

Reactions: Shedhunter

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Was probably a kit built by someone with some skills. Most kits were never built right.
They were a good starter kit to learn on. Now they can be picked up cheep on the junk gun rack .I treat them like a new kit and re build them.(or at least I try!) Most CVA and I think now traditions were made by Juker in Spain. Some were finished not kits.This looks like a VERY well done kit. Might have been a factory special edition. Look for the numbers and find when it was made.What wood is it? The kits were beech wood. Some had nice grain. Find some picks of CVA and look at the locks. They might have used a CVA barrel and brass on new wood. Yours is very nice!

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's 100% a T/C Hawken trigger guard. The patch box is not T/C, the lock I'm not so sure about. Bubba .50 would know better than most. Nice looking gun, though. Congrats!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
It's a CVA lock, cap box and rear sight. It looks like maybe someone added a T-C trigger guard, or possibly it's an upgrade from the factory.

Here is a photo of the lock on my CVA Bobcat with the same scroll work on the hammer as yours has, and the hammer spur is out to the side to clear a scope.
Bobcat_Lock.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts