Graybeard Outdoors banner

Used Handi basics for better results

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  quickdtoo 
#1 ·
When I first got my .308 Survivor I was disappointed. Over 3" groups @100yd. I then followed the Handi basics from this forum.

1. Did the O ring thing, this completely free floats my barrel front and back from the screw

2. Lapped the bore with JB. I would say at least 500-600 passes in barrel

3. Lightened the trigger some by just pushing on hammer as per instructions. It is crisp and good

4. Changed scopes to a Mueller 2x7. Love that scope (the other scope was a Bushnell Legend that
works fine on my other Handi .223 ( small groups also) it was not the scope.

I allways sight in at 25yd. (one hole) with 150 gr. Federal ammo. this gives me 3 in high @ 100yd, approx 2" high @ 200yd and dead on @ 250yd.
I got this from an old book by Jack O'Conner and have tested with this and other guns.

My last 3 shot group @ 100yd was around 1/2 in. Hard to believe.
Thank you all for your help. Without this forum I would have traded it away and bad mouthed Handi's.
I believe that if NEF were smart they would put a reference to this site in their instructions and their website, and put Quick and some others on the payroll.

See less See more
#3 ·
Quick is not on their payroll but he is more of an advocate of good products at fair prices. Quick, and others too numerous to mention, have steered me into other products ... not just Handi firearms. It was because of Quick (a few years back) that I became aware of Mueller scopes being a lot of product for not too much money. I bought a Mueller and also a Swift scope because of this shared knowledge. The latest items I started using because of this site was Break-Free CLP and barrel cleaning foams. I only have two Handi's, but they will both shoot very small groups. When I met some new shooting buddies after I relocated this year, I showed them my Handi's first. Isn't it crazy?

Somehow, I don't feel I am alone.

bjm

#4 ·
Thanks fellas, but I think we owe our thanks to Graybeard and Matt for providing this forum for us to make the best of our talents with Handis and firearms in general, if it wasn't for them, we'd wouldn't have this great source of info to share. ;)

PD555, glad ya got a handle on it and you're happy with the results. :)

Tim

#6 ·
3. Lightened the trigger some by just pushing on hammer as per instructions. It is crisp and good[/color]

Can you give me a reference on this pushing the hammer idea? I have read the FAQs and 101 but I did not see any mention of this. I may have just passed over it.

Thanks

#7 ·
You can try that if you want, it's an old trick done on original H&Rs that had softer parts, but current models have much harder hammers and sears, several members have broken the sear notch off the hammer by doing it, so do it at the risk of possibly having to replace parts. :eek:

Cock the hammer then push forward on the hammer while pulling the trigger several times to try and smooth the trigger pull and possibly lighten it. I've tried it on several different frames, you may get a slightly smoother trigger, but it won't be anything like a real trigger job which is easy to do, that info is in the FAQs.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.