Graybeard Outdoors banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked it up a few weeks ago. Previous owner had a local 'smith fit his receiver, but it doesn't fit any of mine (It's loose).

Everything is in good-excellent condition. Buttstock still has the sissy bar in it
Complete set: $350 $250 OBO, delivered. Free PayPal preferred for speed, but USPS MO always GTG.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That's why I never "fit" a barrel and receiver. I have 6-8 receivers laying on the shelf at any given time. Whenever I get in a new barrel, I just try it on all the receivers until I get one that fits perfectly. You might want to try to get the fitted receiver from the guy who sold you the rest of it.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
What is a butttstock sissy bar?
The butt stock sissy bar is the lead tube the factory put in alot of the heavy kickers in the location where the stock bolt goes under butt pad. My 10 ga and the original black turkey 12 ga I had both had these. Alot of ppl buy an aftermarket mercury reducer for this same product

Reactions: 45/70fan and RT8

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is a butttstock sissy bar?
The 2lb (?) steel rod inside the buttstock that reduces felt recoil.

...You might want to try to get the fitted receiver from the guy who sold you the rest of it.
The USH barrel was a spare for that receiver. According to him, he never even shot it. Lots of folks fit receivers, I'm just not one of them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The butt stock sissy bar is the lead tube the factory put in alot of the heavy kickers in the location where the stock bolt goes under butt pad. My 10 ga and the original black turkey 12 ga I had both had these. Alot of ppl buy an aftermarket mercury reducer for this same product
Oh - interesting. I hadn't heard of that. I read somewhere recently about filling the bolt hole with lead shot. Same thing. I've been thinking of doing that to one of mine that has quite a kick - 44 Bodeen, which is essentially a 444 Marlin Magnum.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The 2lb (?) steel rod inside the buttstock that reduces felt recoil.

The USH barrel was a spare for that receiver. According to him, he never even shot it. Lots of folks fit receivers, I'm just not one of them.
I wonder if mine has that. I might even have two 12 ga USH. Not sure. I have my main hunter for where shotguns are required, and I used to have a NIB spare, but I can't remember if I sold it. I've shot a couple deer with the USH, but I never really noticed the kick. It's a very heavy barrel, and I attributed all the weight to the barrel, but there may be some weight in the stock, too - I never thought to look, as it's a factory gun & I've never taken it apart. I'll have to check that out on mine.

I'm with you on the receivers - some do fitting work, but not me.

Best wishes selling it. They are a great deer gun for where shotguns are required, and even great in dense woods where shotguns not required, like NH, where you can't see more than 50 yards most of the time, anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Oh - interesting. I hadn't heard of that. I read somewhere recently about filling the bolt hole with lead shot. Same thing. I've been thinking of doing that to one of mine that has quite a kick - 44 Bodeen, which is essentially a 444 Marlin Magnum.
I have done the same with lead shot and like a ladies knee high stocking. Works good but makes gun pit of balance but im not recoil sensitive so I usually take them out.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Reactions: neckisred

·
Registered
210 Posts
They need a special sb2 receiver plowed out wider and the top rim of the receiver is thinner or a 10 Ga. receiver. I found this out the hard way when I bought a 12 Ga. Ultra Slug all my barrels fit extremely loose.

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
The SB2 10ga frame has a lower watertable and larger barrel seat radius to accommodate the ~.100" larger chamber swell of 10ga and 12ga USH barrels compared to standard barrels.

Tim

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The SB2 10ga frame has a lower watertable and larger barrel seat radius to accommodate the ~.100" larger chamber swell of 10ga and 12ga USH barrels compared to standard barrels.

Tim
Am I reading that right...the 12ga USH won't fit on a "regular" SB2, and a "special" on is needed?

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Am I reading that right...the 12ga USH won't fit on a "regular" SB2, and a "special" on is needed?
That's correct, the 10ga based barrels will only work on SB2 10ga frames just as rimfire barrels(except VP) only work on SS1 frames.

Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.