Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So found a decent local deal on muzzleloader bullets and it got me thinking how possible is it to use a 50 cal muzzle loader bullet to reload say a 500 s&w round for use in a break action rifle?
Excercise in futility , has anyone done it or is this a dead in the water idea?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've never done it in a .50 but I have done it in a .45 (back during the "O" administration when bullets were hard to find). As long as the diameter is correct and you have load data for the bullet weight it should work fine. One watch out would be the velocity if the bullet performance is to match your intended purpose. Another would be a crimp groove on the bullet. Most big bore pistol cartridges need a healthy bullet crimp to help with consistent ignition and velocity. At 500 S&W speeds it would also be better if it were jacketed or plated.
That bullet doesn't know what it was made for. As long as the specs are on the charts, go for it.

·
22,268 Posts
where you might run into trouble is muzzle loading bullets are typical cast out of pure lead and the lube is formulated more for keeping fouling soft then to actually lube the bullet. Now pop gun under say 900 fps they will probably work fine but there most likely not going to work at anything over 1100. They will go bang but my guess is there not going to be accurate and are going to lead. I guess to me theyd about have to be free or I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I bought a bunch of the Hornady SST or was it SXT muzzleloader bullets that fit in their MMP sabot. They are .452 and shoot fine in my 450 Bushmaster.

Lloyd is spot on about the lead projectiles. I just miked a 50 caliber conical that i have on hand and this one is .504.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So found a decent local deal on muzzleloader bullets and it got me thinking how possible is it to use a 50 cal muzzle loader bullet to reload say a 500 s&w round for use in a break action rifle?
Excercise in futility , has anyone done it or is this a dead in the water idea?
#1 reason is muzzle loader boolits are soft ,(why they work)in muzzle loaders your barrel will look like a sewer pipe unless you keep FPS slow or use sabots . Lee makes molds so you can make the proper BHN 15-18 boolit easy !

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Personally think if you measured them and they are a proper diameter, I'd say give them a try.

FWIW; muzzle loader bullets are soft because they are shoved down the barrel from the muzzle and then when fired, they obturate to fill the rifling. If they were small enough to load from the muzzle w/o engaging the rifling, and much harder than pure lead, they would not engage the rifling and be inaccurate...

·
Super Moderator
50,915 Posts
If they're .504" cast bullets and can be chambered they'll work fine at slower speeds in the 500S&W, John Taffin did a bunch of testing of the H&R 500S&W shooting cast bullets, most were gas checked, but he also shot 440gr Keith bullets at 900-1300fps with no problems. The 500S&W has a .501" groove depth, so typical 500"+ cast muzzleloader bullets would be preferable as long as they'll chamber, you can make a dummy round with a seated bullet and test chamber it. For jacketed you'll want .501" diameter bullets.

Tim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Odd thing was jacketed muzzeloader full bore size was .500 not 510 as I expected to find.
The sabot rounds between different manufacturers, cast and jacketed came out to .429 .430 and .452

1 - 9 of 9 Posts