Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at work at the cafeteria I was in line and noticed a sign. "Now Available, Vegetarian/Vegan Burgers!" I of course, had to point at the sign, and blurt out to the crowd "Wow, they finally found a use for the Vegan people!, I bet they taste good!". I hope the don't fire me. It did get a few laughs. I mean, if God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

- Joe

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Back in the early seventies Safeway in our town in California tried to sell a ground thing in the meat counter they call vegaburger but it never went over also had a friend when I was around 12 years old that he would invite me in to have a sandwich it was made with vegaburger did not care for it and now Burger king at least in our area are selling a Impossible burger that has no meat I suspect it is also vegaburger looks good in the pictures may have to stop and get one and will report back.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Impossible Burger doesn't taste terrible. I tried one. But then, the ingredients are lots of fat and and just not good. Meat is better nutritionally. The IB has a little less cholesterol than meat, but a lot less nutrients. Lately I find cheapo lean tough round roast at the store for $2.50/lb or so, and grind it myself for burger. It works good for jerky also, because it is so lean. The cheapest toughest cuts of meat, are also the most lean, and great for running through the grinder.

- Joe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beer doesn't make you fat. It makes you lean! I lean against walls, signs, the floor, and ugly people all the time now!
- Joe

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
My granddaughter has been on the vegetarian kick for a couple years now...she says the impossible burger tastes just like beef..either it is that good..or she has forgotten the taste of beef ! :tango_face_wink: :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
The main ingredients of the vegan burger are grass clippings and saturated fats. I seriously doubt it tastes like beef, but if you're a vegan it might taste like what you THINK beef tastes like!

·
Registered
829 Posts
We really need a "like" button to click on, the OP is the perfect example to illustrate the reason!:tango_face_smile:

WAY TO GO JOE!!!!:tango_face_smile_bi

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
:confused: If this keeps up, what will they call steak sauce?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Because of artery disease I have no choice but to be vegan, Gives a whole new meaning of OLD FART....it aint so bad, and every now and then even the dogs leave the room :tango_face_crying: :tango_face_devil:

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Some of you guys have missed your calling.
Deaconllb

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm a vegatarian, second generation. First generation=cows eat grass, second generation=I eat cows! If God didn't want me to eat them he'd wouldn't of made them out of meat.

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
Ask a vegetarian if the human body needs collagen.....because there is none in plant
based diets.
.TM7

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
I'm a big fan of vegetarian cooking, just as I am a fan of cooking with meat. The vegan thing is more of a fashion statement than anything else because vegetarianism without animal protein sources has been normal since vegetarianism began. Also, another word was needed because people got tired of dialogs like this:
"I'm a vegetarian."
"Lacto ovo?"
"No. No animal protein."

The big problem with vegetarian cooking is that a lot of people won't open their minds to it and accept it for the good cuisines that employ it. There are many things where I prefer the veg version to the meat and veg version.

Another problem is ingredients without training. The way tofu is shown to be prepared is an abomination to the western palate in most cases. But there are superb ways to prepare it, and there's a minor learning curve, just as there is with any other kind of cooking. I always keep tofu as a staple and have it a couple of times a week. But you don't just take it out of the package and heat it up. It takes some simple preparation that's not time consuming.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
My sister went vegetarian long ago. At some point she and her physician became convinced a good burger was in fact necessary for her health to improve. She was very studious about her diet too.

Show me your rumen and I’ll be convinced you are meant to be vegan/vegetarian.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
I went out for a burger recently. Not a McBurger or a Burger King burger. A burger made at a local joint known for its burgers. Half pound patty. How did I like it? Well, I was rather disappointed. I see the BK double cheeseburger as a better value, and if I'm cooking, then I prefer a falafel or black bean burger. And I'm no vegetarian.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Vegetarian chilli is good , at least as a Seven Day Adventist mom used to work for made it, actually very good.
I have come to prefer meat less pizza, just cheese, mushrooms, chiles, olives and onions.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Vegetarian chilli is good , at least as a Seven Day Adventist mom used to work for made it, actually very good.
I have come to prefer meat less pizza, just cheese, mushrooms, chiles, olives and onions.
My favorite pizza topping is mushroom and onion. Canned mushrooms. It's the best application for canned mushies.

I went to one of the foo foo pizza places in Minneapolis, pizzeria Lola. Aside from being expensive and having a really bad crust, the sausage topping was overpoweringly salty and the pizza was practically bathed in sausage grease that had rendered out. On a second trip there I had meatless pizza and it was better, but I never went back.

I wanted to try black sheep, but my daughter warned me away from it.

That whole wood fired pizza craze with the paper thin crust and foo foo toppings like kimchi are a major turn-off for me. Bad pizza, bad value, unsatisfying. The crust makes the pizza, I honestly prefer cheap frozen pizza like Jacks to the foo foo wood fired pizzas.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I make a pretty good vegan chili makes the top of my head sweat just right, my daughter and dogs don't appreciate it though. Still cant or haven't a found a use for tofu yet, maybe a hockey puck

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Tried "frying" the little slices of tofu and adding a little oyster sauce, not bad, kinda liked it, haven't done it for a long time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts