1/2 cup bacon drippings
3 strips salt pork, 1/4-inch thick

Gravy
3 tablespoons bacon drippings
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups liquid venison was soaked in
1/2 cup currant jelly
3 gingersnaps

Soak the haunch of venison in a mixture of the wine vinegar and water, with the onion, bay leaf, claves, garlic, salt and pepper added to the liquid. Allow to soak three days, turning meat over each day. Remove venison from liquid, dry with paper towel, pat flour all over it, and brown the haunch on all sides in sizzling hot bacon drippings. Lard the top side of the venison with strips of salt pork. Allow 20-30 minutes per pound for roasting, depending somewhat upon the tenderness of the venison. Cold
or preheated oven--350 degress. Baking time--2 to 2 1/2 hours.

To make the gravy, melt bacon drippings in skillet, blend in flour. Add liquid venison was soaked in, crumbled gingersnaps, and currant jelly.
Stir until mixture is thickened. Serves 5-6

See less See more
#2 ·
Venison With Sour Cream

2 pounds venison
1/2 cup fat
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup minced onion
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic
1 cup diced carrots
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream

Cut venison in pieces and melt fat in heavy frying pan. Add meat and garlic. Brown on all sides and arrange in dish. Put vegetables in remaining fat and cook for 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper and water, pour over meat. Bake in a slow oven until meat is tender. Melt butter in frying pan and stir in flour. Add water that the meat was cooked in and boil until thick. Add sour cream and more salt, if necessary. Pour over meat and vegetables.

#4 ·
Thank you Mrs.GB for the good Venison roast recipe.I took the hind Quarter and used it for Thanksgiving and put it on the table with the Turkey without saying what it was(I have strange enlaws)and the comment were all good.The roast was all gohn,I'm still eating turkey.TNX. :D Kurt
LET THE LORD BE WITH YOU.

#5 ·
Leadpot,

Your are welcome. I would have rather had the venison than the turkey but Graybeard would not see it that way. :grin: The only time I get to eat venison is when he is gone on a trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.