Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shooting friends and I have a variety of sights mounted on our BPCR's. Stuff like MVA, Riflesmith(Axtell) and Baldwin for example. All quality sights, but not a single one of us knows how to read or set the vernier sight settings. I am personally accustomed to vernier scales of the sort commonly found on micrometers and calipers, etc. but have no idea how to make sense of the scale on my MVA Mid-Range tang sight. Does anyone know of a source for info or of a treatise on operating these creatures?
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mike Venturino's book "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West" gives a good description on how to read a vernier scale.

There must be some machinist's website out there that would show how to do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I should have read your question more carefully before answering. (You said you were familiar with vernier scales...)

The scale on the sight is there as a reference only. The numbers indicated are not calibrated to any particular range. You zero the rifle at the desired range and make note of the number indicated on the vernier scale.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Heath,

I've got a copy of an article that I forund on the Iternet some time ago that's pretty good. I scaned it into MS word. If you'd like a copy, drop me a line at:

[email protected]

Chuck

·
Registered
761 Posts
:D Hi All.
Boy you opened a can of wormes with that question HI>HI.
Your barrel length has a lot to do with it.If the sights are calibrated for your 30"32"36"???what ever.With a 32"radius .009"sight movement=1MOA
34".010"=1MOA
36".011"=1MOA
If you have a Browning BPCR that sight staff is laid out with a 5 minute scale,move the long index mark to the first small index mark you move 5 minutes.If the large index markes are lined up say your on the 25 minute index the 4 small index markes are not lined up but move the elevation till the first small index markes line up you moved 1 minute,and when the second two snall index lign up that gives you 2 minutes.
I found that the Browning BPCR sights are right on.
I know it sounds complecated but if you work it ti comes easy.
Or you can do what Hidehunter said use it as a reference.
My MVA sight is calebrated a little different but once you know it it is easy.
using the scale makes it easy if you know your bullet drop.
100 meters=1.8 MOA
200 meters=2.16
300 meters=3.25
385 meters=4.36
400 meters=4.53
500 meters=5.66

:D Lp.

·
Registered
761 Posts
:D Hi All.
I just looked at my new MVA#108 sight.It is laidout .010 for the elevation,and .020 for the windage.for my rifle it workes out to 1 MOA elevation 2 MOA windage.Keep a log and you will be able to get back to with in 1 MOA on your sight settings.Lp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts