Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
You definitely have some video skills! I would have left the barrel alone if it shot that good to start off with.

My gunsmith in Oklahoma told me that during his formal training his class took a field trip to Surgeon Rifles' shop. There they demonstrated a similar experiment, except they used a $5K rifle. The rifle shot good despite how bad the crown was butchered. I guess a crown isn't everything when it comes to fine accuracy.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bluejay75 said:
Good video. i think I will get a 223 now. Was that a standard taper barrel? How's the noise amplification from the short barrel?

I didnt really notice it too much .. but yeah that was a standard taper.

Dinny said:
You definitely have some video skills! I would have left the barrel alone if it shot that good to start off with.

My gunsmith in Oklahoma told me that during his formal training his class took a field trip to Surgeon Rifles' shop. There they demonstrated a similar experiment, except they used a $5K rifle. The rifle shot good despite how bad the crown was butchered. I guess a crown isn't everything when it comes to fine accuracy.

Thanks, Dinny

It did shoot pretty good, but i wanted a compact little rifle. Im not put off by the accuracy it has shown after the cut, most of my shooting is within 50-100.

·
Super Moderator
51,491 Posts
Someone here, Gendoc or LONGTOM IIRC, has a rifle with the muzzle cut at an angle that shoots bug hole groups, so a perfect crown isn't always a necessity. 8)

Tim

·
Registered
308 Posts
This was pretty surprising to me as well. Though I've never tried as you did but always remember being told and reading how important a crown is for accuracy. I've always been real cautious doing them both by hand or on the lathe. Maybe the effects are exaggerated at longer distances? I don't shoot at any distance so I couldn't confirm

Anyways, thanks for taking the time and doing this

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
first, let me say.. you do make very good videos.
i watch both videos , twice.

the crown, specifically is the transition between the face of the barrel and the rifling .. and you had that.
after you cut your barrel, before you fired it, you crowned it, for your safety as you said.

you didnt much of a crown on it, you said you deburred it.. um , that a crown. in many cases thats all any barrel needs.

as evidenced by the fired group after you cut the barrel. and your initial cut of the barrel was fairly straight too

you did a good job. but it did have a crown.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
moto357 said:
This was pretty surprising to me as well. Though I've never tried as you did but always remember being told and reading how important a crown is for accuracy. I've always been real cautious doing them both by hand or on the lathe. Maybe the effects are exaggerated at longer distances? I don't shoot at any distance so I couldn't confirm

Anyways, thanks for taking the time and doing this

Id love to check grouping at 100 and beyond, i just dont have access to that yardage :(

Scibaer said:
first, let me say.. you do make very good videos.
i watch both videos , twice.

the crown, specifically is the transition between the face of the barrel and the rifling .. and you had that.
after you cut your barrel, before you fired it, you crowned it, for your safety as you said.

you didnt much of a crown on it, you said you deburred it.. um , that a crown. in many cases thats all any barrel needs.

as evidenced by the fired group after you cut the barrel. and your initial cut of the barrel was fairly straight too

you did a good job. but it did have a crown.

I wondered to myself if i would be ok shooting it as it were, but i opted to take the burring off to be safe. you couldnt tell in the video but it had a slight angle to the face of the barrel.
but it was interesting seeing the groupings after the hasty work

hey thanx for the good words. A viewer actually commented and will be loaning me a crown tool to perform and check the difference in accuracy. should be interesting to compare !

·
Registered
232 Posts
from what I could see on the vid the cut looked closer to the tape on the right side (from shooting position) than it did on the left and your "new" group was moved right (the shorter side). When cutting barrels like shotguns with fixed sights I think the squareness of the cut is mich more important than crown to keep from moving point of impact away from the sights or where you would put a new sight. On scoped weapons maybe not so much. And then again there normally is a difference in accuracy from a relatively square cut crown and one damaged by a burr or such.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great job on the videos!

It gives me a bit of hope. I bought a couple extra Handis just to chop down. One in .357 and one in 45-70. I actually bought the 45-70 after I chickened out on chopping up a perfectly fine .357 rifle. And now I've been puttting off doing the 45-70. But those videos give me a little hope.

I also checked out the SKS video as I have a Yugo coming at some point and I'm thinking I'd like to wack the barrel down. Otherwise I doubt it will be much use. I also bought a second barrel for a 10/22 with plans to cut off the front sight but again no guts no glory. If I do get around to it I will certainly reference your videos.

I feel like I should make a YT account just like your vids but I'm too "lazi"... Lol...

Thanks,

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lazi said:
Great job on the videos!

It gives me a bit of hope. I bought a couple extra Handis just to chop down. One in .357 and one in 45-70. I actually bought the 45-70 after I chickened out on chopping up a perfectly fine .357 rifle. And now I've been puttting off doing the 45-70. But those videos give me a little hope.

I also checked out the SKS video as I have a Yugo coming at some point and I'm thinking I'd like to wack the barrel down. Otherwise I doubt it will be much use. I also bought a second barrel for a 10/22 with plans to cut off the front sight but again no guts no glory. If I do get around to it I will certainly reference your videos.

I feel like I should make a YT account just like your vids but I'm too "lazi"... Lol...

Thanks,

I have a couple videos on that SKS, i loved the way it turned out !

parson48 said:
Enjoyed your vids. Clear, concise, informative- not a lot of wasted time.

hey thanx man, i try to make videos in a manner that i would like to watch them in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.