Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just this week Ive been to two Walmarts and both tell me they will no longer be selling ARs or AR accessories once they clear off their current inventory.
The employee's cannot tell me why but say this is going to be all walmarts.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I haven't bought a gun from Walmart in years, although I bought several a few years ago. I now deal with LGSs exclusively, and am much more pleased for it.
I am moving away from Walmart more each year..looking at how PC they have become e.g. cap guns ban , confederate flag ban etc...

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
may be some pc conformity behind it, but i'd
think it'd likely be because most wm's are over
their head when it comes to firearms and specialized
sporting goods. around here local, most ar people
play with them like kids play with those newfangled
lego block sets. the ones i see that do that try to
out-internet each other and see what gizmo
they can get online for next to nothing. local forums
are all full of "must sell-financing my next build. . ."
classifieds, and i doubt that some of them ever get
loaded and fired. i've held some that felt like an M-1
garand with an iron skillet duct taped to each end
there were so many gizmos "railed" on it.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Since I've never bought a gun from Wallyworld, and most likely never will, doesn't bother me. They did sell me just yesterday, a bag of shooting accessories thou. Trying something out, at least new to me. Bought a bag of wife beater T-shirts, one size bigger than I need. Will wear it under my regular T-shirt, tuck it in to my pants, and then put on a regular T-shirt, and not tuck that one in. I've always had a hard time with my CCW in the summer, as all I've ever worn was regular T's, and they print to much. Give it a try. gypsyman

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
My wally world is well stocked with ARs

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Easily half of my local WW's gun case is stocked with AR's and pistol gripped shotguns. Wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if they went back to hunting\plinking guns. I was actually quite surprised 4 or 5 years back when i first saw all the "black guns" lined up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pastorp said:
Well that's great info but I doubt it's true. My Walmart still has them on display and the best prices around last time I needed a new one.

I will tell that when I was leaving a visit with family this past weekend, I stopped by the Walmart in McDonough, Ga off I-75 (to see if had .22 LR),
while I and a few other customers waited for a sales assoc to get to the sporting goods counter we were talking shop. It was then I first heard one of the older gents who lived nearby say that Walmart was going to stop carrying ARs and AR accessories. When the assoc got their I asked about the .22 ammo and left to get back on the road home. Later on the drive home, I thought about the conversation so called back the McDonough store and spoke with the sales assoc who confirmed that after they sold out their current stock they would not be getting anymore. He didnt know why but said it was 'political'.
The next day back home, I stopped by my local Walmart (to check on .22 ammo) and asked an assistant manager who confirmed that Walmarts will no longer get anymore AR-15s. I then went across the street to BassPro and bought some .22s there and they confirmed that they already knew this because a Walmart asst manager had bought an AR he had just bought on reduced markdown to have basspro put on and sight in a scope.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Ranger99 said:
may be some pc conformity behind it, but i'd
think it'd likely be because most wm's are over
their head when it comes to firearms and specialized
sporting goods. around here local, most ar people
play with them like kids play with those newfangled
lego block sets. the ones i see that do that try to
out-internet each other and see what gizmo
they can get online for next to nothing. local forums
are all full of "must sell-financing my next build. . ."
classifieds, and i doubt that some of them ever get
loaded and fired. i've held some that felt like an M-1
garand with an iron skillet duct taped to each end
there were so many gizmos "railed" on it.

I know, I've seen some with so much junk hanging off them they look like a 1960s Russian satellite.

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
More ARs in the gun racks at my local Wally World than any thing else. Next time I'm in I'll have to inquire about this... if I can find a clerk in sporting goods that is. Why is it WM puts in a dozen registers up front, three more in sporting goods, paint & hardware and electronics but only hires 4 clerks to man them? :mad:

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Brett said:
More ARs in the gun racks at my local Wally World than any thing else. Next time I'm in I'll have to inquire about this... if I can find a clerk in sporting goods that is. Why is it WM puts in a dozen registers up front, three more in sporting goods, paint & hardware and electronics but only hires 4 clerks to man them? :mad:

I think it's because it's hard to find people smart enough to add or subtract, or run a register. Then there's those who know they are going to fail a drug test but they still come in and apply for a job anyway.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Argent11 said:
coldmold said:
My local wally world has not sold any firearms except those awful in line muzzle loaders for about five years. :mad:

They are awful, if it don't have a big hammer on the side I don't want it. No tradition to them at all and they
are so ugly.
They are strictly for those who are either too lazy or inept to learn to shoot a real muzzle loader or who have never learned how to hunt.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
When they sell out. ...

The market is flooded with AR rifles. Walmart isn't about sitting on slow moving product. Politics aside this makes perfect sense, they can let customers choose which reason they stopped sales.

Sent via Pony Express rider through Indian country.

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
Don't recall ever seeing an AR at the local WM stores. In fact they have so few guns it's hard to call them a firearms dealer. They have two rotating cabinets, I've never really counted but doubt they hold more than 12-15 guns each at most.

It's rare to see anyone in that department even if you wanted to buy one.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Ours has them but they are not competitively priced, they are about the same price there as they are at our
local gun stores. I asked the sporting goods manager about this and he said it was news to him.
He had not heard anything about them not selling ARs.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Argent11 said:
coldmold said:
My local wally world has not sold any firearms except those awful in line muzzle loaders for about five years. :mad:

They are awful, if it don't have a big hammer on the side I don't want it. No tradition to them at all and they
are so ugly.
I don't even think those are legal during muzzle loader season around here.

Regardless, the five closest Walmarts to me don't even sell those. All they have is pellet guns.

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Argent11 said:
Brett said:

I think it's because it's hard to find people smart enough to add or subtract, or run a register. Then there's those who know they are going to fail a drug test but they still come in and apply for a job anyway.

In some areas of the country this is a fact. I heard that one WM in West Virginia stopped drug testing job applicants because no one was passing them. :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts