Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a new semi-auto hand gun for small game hunting. Considering the Ruger target or a browning target model. I want one with sights and a rail to mount a red dot. Probably a Burris speed dot.

Any other guns I should look at?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I had a S&W 22A with wood target grips which I liked. Seemed heavy with the red dot on it. Finally sold it to a friend. Accuracy was good.

·
Registered
16,175 Posts
Once I got a S&W 41 it became my favorite. New ones are drilled and tapped.
The S&W Victory has many good reports and is quite reasonable in price.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I found the victory target model with the rail. I want to handle one.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mor I look at the S & W Victory target model the better I like it. It’s lighter than either the Ruger or the browning. I text my SIL in Atlanta and asked him to go by the big sports store, outdoor adventure when he gets a chance and check one out. We’re going up there in a few weeks I may bring one home.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I used my Ruger 22/45. It's an older model, not the new funny looking ones.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
I had a S&W 22A with wood target grips which I liked. Seemed heavy with the red dot on it. Finally sold it to a friend. Accuracy was good.
I can highly recommend the 22A. solid mount on top, good trigger, accessory barrels.
What's not to love?

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I much prefer the Ruger 22/45 for a semi-auto pistol and the grips on it are the reason. It doesn't give up accuracy to any of the others and is just a better fit for my hand. Get the itch to customize? There are a lot of options available for both it and the regular MK IV if you prefer that grip.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Each persons grip is different and Yours my be different than Mine. I compared every 22 semi pistol on I75 from lower MI to Ft Myers in the great state of Florida. As it was going to be a gift to Me and cost didn't matter I chose the S&W Victory, best fit for Me.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
I had a Ruger bull-barrel once, it shot very well, much better than the standard Ruger I traded for it.

I would have bought a Colt woodsman at one time..but the trigger guard was too small, crimping my finger in a painful manner...

I still have a spot in my heart for an old H&R 999 Sportsman revolver 6"...if I could find a really nice one.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I shot a Beretta Neos a while back and it shot real well. They look like they are from another planet though!

I think looks alone would lean me towards the Victory!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The Browning and Ruger are both good 22s . To be honest the Ruger might be the better choice. I have not pulled the Browning down but some say they have plastic parts. If I was buying a gun to set up with red for for hunting I would was as bullet proof as possible. I wash I could find a Ruger with 10 bbl for a good price.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the buckmarks are elimanited because I can’t grip the slide and rack it. Guess I’ll check out the Ruger and smiths offerings.

·
22,367 Posts
my go to 22 handgun hunting pistol is a 22/45 ruger 4inch threaded gun. Its got a scope rail and wears a burris fastfire. Very accurate gun. Controls are are natural for anyone who grew up with 1911s. Decent trigger and it even gives the option of suppressing when I don't want anyone to know im hunting. To me the ruger semi autos no matter which model you choose are the way to go. Theres enough aftermarket stuff for them that you can have the perfect gun for you. Im not a ruger cheerleader like some but in the case of 22s between the 1022 and the mark II or whatever mark there on now dominate the market and for good reason.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Well the buckmarks are elimanited because I can’t grip the slide and rack it. Guess I’ll check out the Ruger and smiths offerings.
That's why I'm getting rid of my 22-A, my thumbs are useless to wrack slides.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's why I'm getting rid of my 22-A, my thumbs are useless to wrack slides.
Bug, shoot me a couple pictures of your 22A and the price. I may be interested. I could have my SIL pick it up from you if I like it. I’ll PM you my phone #.

·
Registered
16,175 Posts
tough to beat that great browning trigger, I have had ruger's with a trigger like a bumper jack.
I know some of the Buckmarks have pronounced "ears" on the slide to help rack them, that would be a great help to older hands and a great start to making up a slide racker like the IPSC guys use.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts