Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a kid I was awed at the finish of my grandfather's pocket knife blade. It was a dark luster with a damascus type finish. He told me he achieved this finish by sticking the blade in an ice potato for a couple of weeks. Well 35 years pass and I had just bought a Case Trapper knife with a carbon blades, the blades had a chrome finish, so I tried it. I stuck the main blade up to the handle in a large ice potato, placed it in the bottom of the fridge for two weeks. The chemicals in the potato did a marvelous job. After a little cleaning and a light coat of oil I have a knife just like my dear old grandpappy.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Can I ask what's an ice potato?

·
Administrator
26,113 Posts
Been in Bama all my life and never heard that one. Osh as in mispronunciation of Irish potato yes but never ICE. Just OSH.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just made a recent discovery of the same incident. I cut open green "black walnut" husks and my carbon steel knife blade took on a finish similar to a gun blue. I switched to hammer to peel them and the hammer turned blue. Would these finishes allow you to use the blades without getting that odor when you cut a tomato etc. for the first time with a polished carbon blade? Is this the thing to do with carbon steel blades? Most of my blades are polished and used only to slice meat.Wondering?....Horsefeathers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts