Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never scoped any of my Lever guns but see that a lot of others have. I now have (6) and am thinking of scoping one of them, a 336. Ether a 30-30 or a 35 Rem. I was thinking a Leupold or Nikon 3x9-40 or something along those lines. For those that have scoped one of theirs, what is your preferance for a scope and reason for your choice.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Swordfish

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
So far all my levers with scopes have the straight tubes on them, ie. 20mm objectives. They look a little smoother to me, just my preference. That said, I just bought a Leupold 2-7x33 with the LR Duplex that was on sale. That one I'm gonna put an a BLR 358 win. to see how it works for that cartridge. DP

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
I scoped my 35 rem last year for the hunting season and it performed well with a 3-9 nikon.

A short tubed fixed power would be my choice if i was going to buy one like a leupold FX ll 2.5 I am looking at right now. I hate to see a lever gun with a scope but i hate to hunt with open sights more, these days. I have a peep on my 44 marlin but that is a under 100 yard shooter

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
I put a Lyman 66 Aperture on my 3030 almost 40 years ago and never looked back. At 250 yards I'll kill anything anyone else will with a 3030 at that range with a scope.
I would get the lowest power scope I could so as not to inhabit the handling speed the 336 is noted for.JMO

·
Registered
299 Posts
J'hawker said:
My favorite for the 336 is the Leupold 2-7x33. It just seems like a good match, both in size and power settings.
This is my vote also. To my hand and eye Marlins are overbalanced when objective diameter gets above 33 mm. Better yet is a fixed power 2.5X or 4X.

My leverguns now all wear iron sights. My bolt guns have scopes as described above. I shoot much better with a scope because of aging vision but I sure like the feel of a levergun while rambling in the woods.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I have the new Lyman #2's on my 1894 - 44 and 336's in 30-30 & 38-55 cowboy. It keeps them all very capable & useable for CAS or hunting without having to change anything. JMO

·
Registered
390 Posts
In my opinion and it's only my opinion, I'm like a lot of others here that believe a full size scope such as a 3-9x40 is to large for a levergun and would prefer to use a compact size scope such as a 2-7x33 which is more than sufficiant for a 30-30 etc. On my 336 I use a Leupold 2-7x33 with a heavy duplex retical which is a little easier to find in the deep woods. Actually I prefere not to use a scope on a levergun but because of my old eyes I find I need one now.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The one Marlin that I have with a scope on it has a 1.5 to 5 Bushnell on it. It provides a clear sight picture, and mostly I use it in the woods on 2 power or thereabouts. That is, when I rarely use it. Most of the time, when I hunt with a Marlin, it's usually my other 35--with a half magazine and a top-mounted receiver sight with a big arperture.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I voice another strong vote for the Leupold Vari-X II, 2x7. It is a perfect match for a 336. More than enough for any occasion.

If you go with a fixed scope, then I would suggest a 3 power scope, instead of a standard 4 power, as most people use their levers for woods more than fields. Don't go with any lower power. I recently looked through a 2.5 power fixed scope, at a deer that was standing broadside in a field at 150 yards. Man, . . . the deer looked pretty far away through that scope.

Mannyrock

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have 3 vintage Weaver K4 with steel tubes. They are great scopes for lever guns. However, I have gone almost exclusively to 2-7X32 variable on all my Marlins. I have them on 7 guns in 30-30, 35 Remington and 444 Marlin. The K4s are now on 22s.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
2.5X Weaver fixed power on both my Marlin 336 and my Winny 88. Don't need all that high power unless you're after varmints at long range, in my opinion.

-WH-

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. Some varying of opinions on the scopes, and good reasons backing them up. Looks like I may have to buy and sell till I get what hunts best on it for me. Damn, wish there was a clear cut answer.

Thanks,
Swordfish

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey swordfish. Put one of those big variables with a min of 50 mm objective mounted on see thru rings. Thats a classic leavergun look. Sorry just had to go there, bored at work and really enjoyed the read on what others are using. SN

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
These are the ones I'd consider. Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32, Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32, Leupold Rifleman 2-7X33, any Bushnell 3200 that suits you. The first 2 are my first choices. They are awesome for the money. eBay normally has the best prices.

Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 a really awesome scope

My personal favorite the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.