Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting to buy a encore for years.I mainly want it for ml hunting and maybe yote hunting. So what do I need to buy. .

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Buy a Encore with a M/L barrel and get a 223, 22-250 barrel and rifle forearm to go with it. That will cover you M/L needs and yote hunting

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Been wanting to buy a encore for years.
So, what are you waiting for?

Depending on what powder you use for the ML, they can be messy to shoot so I would go with stainless steel. Also, the Pro Hunter ML barrels have features like an easily removable plug that makes them a bit more attractive than the older barrels.

As far as coyote barrels are concerned, you have bunches of choices. A 223 Rem. barrel would be great especially if you wanted to shoot cheaper military surplus rounds. A 22-250 barrel would give you a bit more range. There are, of course, many other suitable choices like 7mm/08 Rem., 25/06 Rem., etc.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Commando,

My advice. Don't do it. No way. If you buy one of these guns, then you start buying barrels....I mean like rabbits. Then you buy Contender frame's if you bot the Encore first....or vice-versa. Then, you start the barrel process for the Contender!!!!!

Then your hooked. It's a never ending cycle. Then you get on these things called "forums" and tell people about the accuracy of your guns. And you defend how wonderful they are.

It's a sickness.

So.....did you get one yet? ;D

Dave

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
they're going to need a group for meetings about t/cs for us that are addicted also the handi group.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
....been going to those danged group therapy meetings for 33 years...hadn't helped yet. Found some good deals on T/C barrels there though. Just because the rest of us jumped off the cliff is plenty good reason for you to do the same. The best thing about T/C's is that they are so durable,....mine have out-lasted several wives. GOOD SHOOTIN', Walt ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Hopalong,

I never get excited enough to jump off a cliff. But I will get excited enough to jump out the cellar window! ;D

Dave

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
ill jump off a bridge but i dread the sudden stop after the painless free fall

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
off a bench my 45cal t/c with 100 grains of triple seven and 198 grain powerbelt areo tips get 3/4inch at 125. that took a bunch of range time

·
Registered
308 Posts
30-06man said:
off a bench my 45cal t/c with 100 grains of triple seven and 198 grain powerbelt areo tips get 3/4inch at 125. that took a bunch or range time
I have the .50cal and with 2 triple 7 pellets I get 3/4 inch groups @100yds easy..............

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
What bullet are you using?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Davemuzz said:
Commando,

My advice. Don't do it. No way. If you buy one of these guns, then you start buying barrels....I mean like rabbits. Then you buy Contender frame's if you bot the Encore first....or vice-versa. Then, you start the barrel process for the Contender!!!!!

Then your hooked. It's a never ending cycle. Then you get on these things called "forums" and tell people about the accuracy of your guns. And you defend how wonderful they are.

It's a sickness.

Listen to him! It happened to me!

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
If I could, I would wait a few weeks. After hunting season you can usually pick up a lightly used weapon and save quite a few bucks. I have bought guns a pawn shops right after Christmas at a fraction of book value.

alan

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
$500-600new. $400-500used.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
What you should do is get an encore as a handgun. then sell /trade off the handgun barrel for a M.L. barrel and buy a shoulder stock.

this way you will have the most for your money, you will be able to make it a rifle or handgun legally if you want

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
In that case it may cost more.

·
Registered
326 Posts
rickyp said:
What you should do is get an encore as a handgun. then sell /trade off the handgun barrel for a M.L. barrel and buy a shoulder stock.

this way you will have the most for your money, you will be able to make it a rifle or handgun legally if you want
Just wondering why my originally purchased 300WinMag Encore is not legal when I put a 10" .44RemMag barrel on? Where is the law(link would be great here) that says I'm breaking the law?

Scott (please educate) B

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Aw man....I hate these T\C handgun-longgun registration discussions. They always end up in 25 page post and no one ever has the answer. And...I think ( amateurs answer) that it may be a State by State issue. However, here in PA. I have bot Contender frames that I have registered as just that..."Frames". They are not shown as either handguns or longguns. Now, I'm sure someone will give me grief, but I have both long barrels and short barrels for my frames.

So far...the Fed's havn't come a callin.

Dave

1 - 20 of 35 Posts