Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow,the farm crops around my area are just growing at a very fast rate. The trees are in nice shape and i hope there is a good mast crop?
Any Pa. guys here have any apple trees? How are they doing?
My son lives very close to farm land/forest area and has been seeing some well anterlerd bucks! They are in velvet but have high and wide racks? My next door friends father lives in a rual are and has trail camerias on his place and has photos of a few nice ones!
The darn ticks are out in swarms! I have to get a fresh supply of Permethrin for my outdoor close.
The Gypsy moths are stripping trees in some areas of the state and the spraying had started but they ran out of funds?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Warm and wet is good for some things but not everything. My relatives have dairy farms and have not been able to make any hay. It has been so wet any hay they do mow does not have time to dry. We get a dry day, but one dry day does not dry out hay for baling. They generally sell a lot of their first cutting hay to horse farmers, then keep most of the second cutting which is better hay, but if it doesn't start to dry out there won't be a second cutting. It doesn't help with July approaching, which for the last 60 years has been the wettest month on average.

Speaking of ticks I was at my Grandsons ball game a couple weeks ago, and people there were passing around this spray that didn't even have any deet in it. They were complaining about all the ticks there. This guy I was talking to was also complaining about the ticks saying the lady sitting near him found half a dozen ticks on her. Which didn't sound right being everyone was on mowed grass. A little later he points to one of the so called ticks on his pants. I pick it off and look at it and tell him it wasn't a tick. He continues to tell me its a tick. I knew it wasn't a tick, because of its size, because it had six legs, because of its color, and because it could fly. I had seen an unusual number of these bugs this year but didn't know what they were, so I looked it up. They are a bluegrass Billbug, and they don't bite or sting. For someone that doesn't know what a tick looks like exactly, they can be easily mistaken for ticks, which a lot of people are doing this summer, because there are an unusual amount of billbugs this year.

Yes Willyp permethrin is the best thing to use when going in tall grass or wooded areas. Call me paranoid, but I don't go into any wooded area without it on my clothing.

I don't want to see anymore Gypsy moths either. When they were bad a number of years ago, they killed a nice stand of old oaks on our property. Its something a oak tree can live a 100 to 200 years, and a larvae that turns into a small moth can destroy them. In 1869 some genius bought gyspy moths here from Europe with plans of interbreeding them with silkworms for developing a silkworm industry.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Sure is hard to gin up conversation here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts