Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received what appeared to be a legitimate email today from [email protected] saying I would be receiving a free Raptor Claw Karambit Knife. "just click here and enter the your mailing address where to send it." See attached pic.

I believe it to be a scam, since I found nothing on this site related to this free promotion. Anyone else get something similar?

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
No I always get left out of freebies..... Don't trust it!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I got that same email but just deleted it with the rest of the spam. Figured it was bait for some event that I wouldn't like.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't believe I have posted my email here or other forum and also got the same email. I also got that same email from two other outdoor forums that I read.
The mail came from GraybeardOutdoors.com <[email protected]>
The address makes it look like it came from these websites by adding the "blast." in front of the website.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I got the same email except it was from Rimfire Central. Don't know if it is a scam or not but I have never replied. Always leary of anything that sounds too good to be true.

·
Administrator
26,026 Posts
I have not gotten it but it is likely from GBO, more or less, anyway.

It is one of the ways the current owners make money on this site. Dunno if it's them selling e-mail addresses or if it's them sending stuff out for advertisers themselves. You can opt out of getting the e-mails from any one of them you get. I think I did that way back which is likely why I didn't get the one you guys are talking about.

However I do get that same e-mail often, just not from GBO. It's a common thing someone is sending out. They call it free, just want you to pay the shipping to get it to you. Shipping cost is the real cost and covers both their actual shipping of it to you and their profit. I've never actually looked to see how much the "shipping" is to get it to me as I don't want it.

Only scam in it that I see is they get your credit card info for the "shipping cost". Since I've never taken them up on the offer I don't know if they would make additional charges or not.

But any of the e-mails you get from GBO you can click a link and opt out of future e-mail. Clicking it won't do anything nasty to your computer and they really will stop sending them to you. It's all in the Terms of Use you agree to when signing up on a site like this.

Back when me and Matt owned the site we didn't do stuff like this, these days pretty much all site owners do such things.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I got the same email offering the same knife from three different outdoor/gun sites that I belong to, not the first time it's happened.
I just send it to the Junk folder and don't think about it again, I figure eventually it'll automatically be sent to junk if I do this enough times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts