Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
Nope, we even had the ear of Marlin/H&R and did a poll to add the 338MX to the line up, they were all tooled up to do them since they offered it in the Marlin levergun, but they didn't listen to the Marlin/H&R Marketing Manager that pushed it for us. ::) I have a 338-06 Ultra(rebored 25-06), to get an H&R 338 anything will require a rebore or a stub, JES or Wayne York can make you a nice 338 barrel from a suitable donor barrel for $250-$350.

Tim

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-cen...8-marlin-express/msg1098825575/#msg1098825575

·
Super Moderator
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotta want it bad to buy a barrel ($150 say) then plunk another $300 say into it. That'll make about $600 worth for the whole kit and kaboodle. I believe there are suitable bolt guns in .338 for less or the same rather than a single shot. To bad too. I woulda pulled the trigger on a 338 Handi- barrel.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
.338 is a good encore caliber. Here's a 338 Federal Barrel. Cost less than a rebore. I traded for this one on another forum.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
Lt. said:
.338 is a good encore caliber. Here's a 338 Federal Barrel. Cost less than a rebore. I traded for this one on another forum.
Not if you include the $250-$300 Encore frame, costs as much as an entire Handi! Been there, done that with an Encore, sold it and never looked back. I believe the nice fella I sold the frame to also moved on from them, smart fella! ;) I traded the 375H&H barrel for a like new 35 Whelen Handi. 8)

Tim

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Looking at Hodgdon's data, I don't see anything in the .338 Federal or .338 Marlin Express that the .356/.358 can't do better with a larger meplat. It is just a simple reaming and modified extractor; nothing more.

Pete

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I think the .338 and .358 are almost identical in what they do. If you prefer the 338 it is just more difficult to find in a handi rifle. It can be done with a rebore but it may be easier to do with a bolt gun or an encore. I got into the .338-08 when it was a wildcat and had a buddy rebarrel a remington model 7 for me. Federal then made it a mainstream cartridge around 10 years ago but it really isn't any better than a .358 win.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
All that being said, I have three .338's if that tells you anything. Everything I have taken with a .338 has been quick and no tracking. Great Elk caliber. Seems like almost too much gun for deer. If you want one, I recommend it without hesitation. I think JES would do a rebore for $225 and it would be a great shooting rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
I have a handi in .338 that is a wildcat. It started as a 26" Weatherby take off barrel in 340 Weatherby cal. I wanted a rimmed cartridge that would use the 45-70 as the parent brass. I took a sizing die for a 340 W and cut the base down until the head dia. was correct for the 45-70 about .800" removed.
The formed brass worked as a headspace gauge to trim the breech end of the barrel until the brass headspaced on the shoulder and the rim equally.
The barrel was stubbed into a cut down 20 ga. barrel and I made a forend lug that has a thin round band that slipped onto the barrel and is soft soldered in place as well as a barrel band from a 10-22 Ruger , the forend is homemade and glass bedded to the slim barrel.

The gun shoots very well, MOA or better with most jacketed bullets that I have tried but havent spent much time trying to get a good cast bullet load yet.
I took the rifle out west to WY and took several Antelope with it but really havent used it much since.

Heres a poor quality pic of the rifle and the round.

jedman

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts