Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stupid as it sounds, my memory insists to me that I once looked at a .45-70 deringer in a store. Does anyone know who might have made such a handcannon?

I'm talking mid-60s to mid-70s, not ancient history. (Well, I guess that depends on how you look at it. Seems like yesterday to me.)

-----paul-----

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
pwright2,

I suspect that your memory is serving you correctly. I remember reading an article about them a number of years ago (mid '80's, I believe). The article suggested that people using them as groin guns. I remember talking with my dad about how painful it would be with all of that recoil going into the web of one's hand. I shutter to think! If I recall correctly the only safety that particular piece had was a stiff trigger with a long pull. I can't remember who made it. I do like the 45-70 but I think I will keep my shooting of this fine cartridge out of a rifle -- and a heavy one at that.

Blessings!

Shootnstr8

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
pwright2,

I just did a search on Dogpile. Check out www.amderringer.com/. They have them there.

Peace,

ShootnStr8

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.45-70 deringer

Son-of-a-gun. More than one, even. I see they use the double-r version of the name, but that's OK.

Man, even a .45-70 over .410. Fascinating. But a little overbore for your average poker table disagreement unless you are up against the Terminator.

Thanks, guys. Glad to know all the brain cells aren't gone. (Though I should have thought to use Google first.)

-----Paul------

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
A guy that had a shop near me had one of the 45/70-.410's.

He showed it to me, had it loaded under the counter. I asked if he had ever shot it, and he said no. I was talking about revolvers that shot both 45's and .410's, and he pulled this thing out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorta like having your very own hand grenade.

I must admit, if offered the chance, I would shoot it. Just to say I had done it. OTOH, I figure the slug has to be right at the end of the bore, so there probably isn't a whole lot of pressure built up.

I'd love to see figures on the velocity vs. something with a barrel.

I'm amused that American Derringer calls it something like the Alaska Survival Gun. Other than the noise, a long knife would probably be more effective against a bear. And a .22 would do as well against card sharks.

-----Paul------

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Seems like some one was making a 45-70 /410 derringer in the early 90's - stainless even. I remember one of our local shops had a couple. One of the employees said he shot the 45-70 at a oil drum at short distance - put big holes in the drum and he said it wasn't so bad to handle either.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have never shot one but what I understand there is very little recoil. As soon as you pull the trigger the bullet is gone. It is not in the barrel long enough to kick much. I bet it would look like a flame thrower if shot in the dark. Lone Hunter

·
Registered
98 Posts
I saw a 410 Derringer once. Even shot it. I think the barrels were 3" and the shells were 1/4" shorter. Let me tell you that it did kick. Nearly jumped out of my hands. I was 8 feet from a cardboard box before I hit it with any pellets. The problem was that there was not much of a handle. I had to squeeze between my thumb and palm, to keep it from jumping up out of my hand. Had a chance to buy a 357 Derringer for $100 last year, but didn't. I probably should of, but what would you do with it?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Saw an "Alaskan Guide" model sold at the last gun show. It was a double barrell 45-70. The man that sold it said it was a two handed gun for sure! Good for a novelty, but I can't imagine what use one would have for it.
Stay Safe,
Savage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts