Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Kinda hard to beat a Browning BPS. Low cost, high utility, high quality, ambidextrous, weather resistant, good support in case repairs are needed, the list goes on. It's what the Remington 870 has the reputation of being-- one of the finest guns money can buy. No sense in spending a lot on this kind of gun unless you plan on using it a great deal. If that were the case, then maybe one of the synthetic stocked autos would be a good choice. I liked the ergonomics of the Benelli Super Black Eagle.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Another consideration is whether the country you're planning to hunt allows autos. Somebody clue me in: Are autos still legal for waterfowling in Canada?

·
Registered
258 Posts
May wanna give the stoeger 2000 a try,I shoot one of the 1200 buck bennelis,but 2 of my buddys shoot the 350 buck stoegers,so far,they have been good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok lets say $500 - 850 price range. I hunt N. Cal. and Or. probably go with a pump, Although I'm kinda lookin at a Browning Gold hunter or Stalker. I've got a Ithaca 37 in 20ga I use for upland birds, looking for a good 12ga for ducks and turkey. I guess I'm really interested in what barrel lenght I need to cover both.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a 26" Gold Stalker that has been a fine gun. Watch their website & at times offer a $100 or so rebate, or look for a used one(lightly used & cared for). I also have a 12 & 20 BPS that have been fine. For me I like 26" barrels.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
A 28" barrel would be fine. Some would probably prefer a 30 or 32 inch barrel as the longer barrels are kind of trendy now. Chokes and loads are really more important than the gun itself. For fabulous patterns suitable for turkeys try the Federal copper washed buffered ammo. I believe it's the Premium line of ammo. The patterns are sensational at longer ranges. I use it for late season pheasants when I need to reach out farther. You'll want a gun that has a good selection of turkey chokes available for it. I recommended the BPS, but if you're really going to get into the hard kicking waterfowl loads, you may want to consider a good, reliable auto.

One thing I'm absolutely adamant about is that the gun needs to shoulder well and fit well in the store. Don't just buy a shotgun by brand or recommendation unless you can at least handle it in comparison with others. Even at that you may need to invest in the services of a stock fitter to optimize it for you.

·
Administrator
26,165 Posts
Were I in the market for such the list would be very short and the Remington 11-87 would be the ONLY gun on it.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
My two bits may be late, but I love mine. I've got it for Christmas '06. I've had no problems. Love the selection of choke tube that comes with it. The only issue I've had is that cheap loads that have uneven crimps (i.e. Walmart, cheap target type) will hang on the entrance to the barrel.

It shoots well where right where I point it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts