Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

These are some groups I shot last week out of my box stock Browning A-Bolt Medallion .30-06. The load was 54.0 Grains of WC-852 Ball Powder with a Federal 215 Mag. primer under a Sierra 180 Grain Matchking. Bullets were seated .030 off the lands. Velocity on my chrono was a consistent 2,600 FPS. Primers were normal with no flattening, and extraction was effortless with zero signs of any high pressure. Groups were fired in 5 shot sessions letting the barrel cool between each. I have all but exclusively switched to military surplus ball powder for most all of my centerfire shooting. This military surplus powder is far cheaper, cleaner, much more consistent, and far more accurate than the overpriced commercial powders that are selling for close to $30.00 a pound in many areas today. This stuff flows effortlessly thru a measure without all that crunching and shearing normally associated with long grained stick powders. Personally, I feel this is one of the last, and best kept secrets in reloading today. I really like the WC-872 in my large overbore Magnums like my .338-378 Weatherby Accumark. When your burning 110 grains a pop, the savings really add up! Bill T.

·
Registered
82 Posts
where can you purchase that wc 852? I have been searching the net and local outdoor stores and haven't had any luck. thanks. jeff in texas

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
redhawksixsh said:
where can you purchase that wc 852? I have been searching the net and local outdoor stores and haven't had any luck. thanks. jeff in texas
I get mine from 2 sources. Jeff Bartlett over at www.gibrass.com and also www.patsreloading.com Both are very good to deal with. Most of this stuff runs about $40.00 to $60.00 per 8 pound jug. If you buy 6, 8 pound jugs from Jeff, he pays the Haz-Mat fee. Pretty hard to beat in the world of $30.00 a pound powders. Their stock varies from time to time, so if they don't have what you want in stock, check back from time to time. Both places turn over a lot of powder and components. Bill T.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the info on the wc 852. I plan to do quite a bit of reloading after deer season here in Texas. It has been a great deer season here! Happy Holidays, Bill.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I doubt you will find that WC-852 anymore...Many reloaders who use surplus have been trying to locate a supply for a few years. I use my 8-pound keg sparingly as I think the supply has dried up completely...BCB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts