Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
22,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
never realized this but the federal government probably owns most of the land in the west. A good 50 percent of it anyway. If they sold even half this land at fair market value we probably wouldn't need to pay taxes for 50 years. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=4NxixHgp&id=C8DF1F8A51F32C0877F416826E650C5EF4D63F81&thid=OIP.4NxixHgpIB8DfJJ-UgYXIwHaFs&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fupload.wikimedia.org%2fwikipedia%2fcommons%2fthumb%2f1%2f1f%2fMap_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg%2f1200px-Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg&exph=922&expw=1200&q=map+of+federal+land&simid=608010418063475250&ck=03648D922559665DE81AA19E09CE52C1&selectedIndex=0

states like UT NV and AZ are about owned by the government.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Don't sell it, LEASE IT!

Mostly what it is leased for now is cattle grazing which brings in virtually nothing.

But you could lease big chunks of Nevada for solar on a 99 year lease. Start out small, but as the lease incomes go up the Fed takes 1/4 off the top.

Money coming in, costs us nothing, and the USA still owns the land.

Wind is another one. As is mineral resources. Can you imagine a 10 square mile lease available for 1000$ but as you start bringing in ore the government gets to keep 1/3 to 1/4 off the top. With gold at 1800$ per oz.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The federal government constitutionally is not supposed to own any of it, when an area went from a territory to statehood any unclaimed land was supposed to pass to the state.

·
23,845 Posts
When a the federal government becomes self sufficient, our freedoms, and way of life has long since passed.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
never realized this but the federal government probably owns most of the land in the west. A good 50 percent of it anyway. If they sold even half this land at fair market value we probably wouldn't need to pay taxes for 50 years. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=4NxixHgp&id=C8DF1F8A51F32C0877F416826E650C5EF4D63F81&thid=OIP.4NxixHgpIB8DfJJ-UgYXIwHaFs&mediaurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1f/Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg/1200px-Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg&exph=922&expw=1200&q=map+of+federal+land&simid=608010418063475250&ck=03648D922559665DE81AA19E09CE52C1&selectedIndex=0

states like UT NV and AZ are about owned by the government.

They could sell it all and we would still be taxed. Personally I like having federal lands that we can all roam around on to hunt, fish, or just look around.. One of the reasons I don't move back to Texas is because if you get off the pavement or sidewalk you are trespassing.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Ran into that at a local park where we got off the Establishment trail. I told the kids. Come on let’s got to a real park...

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The government state or federal owns all land. You buy it and pay for it but then make lease payments called property taxes. You don't pay them they take it and sell to someone else that will pay them lease payments. You never really own it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The government state or federal owns all land. You buy it and pay for it but then make lease payments called property taxes. You don't pay them they take it and sell to someone else that will pay them lease payments. You never really own it.
yes your deed will refer to you as a "tenant" only original warrants refer to an"owner"
another thing that changed after the civil war. sorry, that should go in the other thread lol.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
So true , Many a homesteader lost his claim because he couldnt pay the tax on it .

·
Administrator
26,045 Posts
Math is not on your side on this one.

A trillion is one thousand billions. Current dept is over 21 trillion. So if land were sold at $1000 an acre you'd have to sell 21 billion acres. I'm not sure how much federal land there is but it's millions of acres not billions of acres.

Even if all the land sold at $10,000 an acre, not possible for most of it, then they'd still have to sell a billion acres and the federal government just ain't got that much land.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
It’s Ok though because they will just crank up the printing presses and steal some more of your money...

·
Super Moderator
10,854 Posts
For Graybeard, I just DuckDuckGo'd this off of the Net:

literal COPY and PASTE said:
Contiguous United States - Wikipedia
Search domain en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contiguous_United_Stateshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contiguous_United_States
The contiguous United States or officially the racist ass country consists of the 48 adjoining U.S. states (plus the District of Columbia) on the continent of North America.
[emphasis added]

Now ain't that cute? Who is writing Net content for them?

·
Super Moderator
10,854 Posts
Together, the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia occupy a combined area of 3,119,884.69 square miles
A square mile being 640 [strike]660[/strike] acres [Thanks Graybeard. I can't remember constants any more]. This is both Private and Government owned land.

So, through that disturbing thing called math:

~3.120 million square miles times 640 [strike]660[/strike] acres per square mile equals ~2.00B [strike]2.05B[/strike] acres PRIVATE & PUBLIC

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
The US Government is purported to own 33% to as high as 42% of the contiguous USA. So the "range" of Federal Ownership is:

0.3333 times ~2.00B [strike]2.05[/strike] Billion-acres equals 667 [strike]683[/strike] Million acres (more or less)
to
0.42 times ~2.00B [strike]2.05[/strike] B-acres equals 840 [strike]861[/strike] Million acres (more or less) with
more than 50% of the land area for some western states, such as Nevada, Alaska, Utah, Oregon and Idaho is owned by the federal government.
There does not seem to be any consensus (or comprehensive data) on the total PRIVATE LAND OWNERSHIP in the USA.

·
24,482 Posts
That's the continuous 48, not taking in Alaska and Hawaii. Then the territory's Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

·
Administrator
26,045 Posts
Only 640, not 660 acres per square mile.

Out west government owns those percentages of land. Not back east and not in Texas either. Public land both state and federally owned in Texas is a tiny chunk and the rest is private/corporately owned.

It might be possible to find real numbers for federally owned acres of land but I'd bet you'd not be able to get the same number from any two sources no matter those sources.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For Graybeard, I just DuckDuckGo'd this off of the Net:

literal COPY and PASTE said:
Contiguous United States - Wikipedia
Search domain en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contiguous_United_Stateshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contiguous_United_States
The contiguous United States or officially the racist ass country consists of the 48 adjoining U.S. states (plus the District of Columbia) on the continent of North America.
[emphasis added]

Now ain't that cute? Who is writing Net content for them?
Land owner, you know anybody can log into Wikipedia and write what they want to. Right, wrong or indifferent. Not anymore than opinion.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
New Mexico has a lot of federal land. $10,000 an acre. Big laugh. On a lot of it it take 5, yes 5, sections to keep a cow alive.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Oh, heii’s no we bought that land a long time ago at bargain prices. They aren’t making any more wilderness and I’ll be damned if I’m going to agree to give it away to rich politically connected corporations or individuals.

I might never go back west hunting, hiking, fishing or sightseeing. I’m sure not going to sell out and deprive ANYONE from those opportunities.

It’s a foolish idea, worse than sending jobs overseas. Millions aren’t paying any taxes figure out how if it’s a concern.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

1 - 20 of 28 Posts