Graybeard Outdoors banner

Weatherby=black & blue

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  nixsrs93 
#1 ·
sometimes i loan out my 300wby to friends at our deer camp,who in their haste forgot their rifle or ammo.they generally don`t ask to use it again!
my question is,does anyone out there have a formula where i can lose about a 1,000 ft per sec off the 3,400/180gr specs.on my weatherby box.
i would be happy with 2,500fps,or near it. thanks for any help.

#4 ·
I don't know much about Weatherby rounds but how about loading it with 220gn bullets to slow it down and load it to minimum?
I know this may increase the recoil but with a cool load you'll retain the energy without the recoil......I think? :|
Just a suggestion. :wink:

#5 ·
kombi1976 said:
I don't know much about Weatherby rounds but how about loading it with 220gn bullets to slow it down and load it to minimum?
I know this may increase the recoil but with a cool load you'll retain the energy without the recoil......I think? :|
Just a suggestion. :wink:
Going up in bullet weight will increase recoil.

jdt48653, load your 180 gr. down to the lower limits. Or get yourself a 300 Win Mag. :D

#7 ·
jdt48653 said:
victorcharlie,i also use it for elk.so i thought if i could get some custom loads i could kill two critters with one stone?(gun)
So a .308 won't kill an elk? Respectfully, bigger ain't always better. Toss the Magnum and enjoy shooting again.

#9 ·
I also shoot a 300Wby and your over on velocity. You can have a muzzle break installed. You can also shoot some cast bullet loads in the 300wby using jacket bullets get around 1800/1900fps with 180gr bullets don't know if you would get enough expansion. They also make some cast bullets with gas check 30 cal that may work. You can have a recoil reducer installed in the stock. Alot of options without getting another rifle Just my .02

#10 ·
Great thing about that .308 or 30-06 is that Remington has designed new factory loads that deliver half the recoil of the regular loads WITH a bullet that is supposed to perform at that lower velocity. I will let you know about performance very soon. :grin:

Super for practice.

pepaw

#11 ·
So if I read your original email correctly... you're concerned because people that you loan your rifle to are put off by the recoil of your .300 Weatherby Magnum?

I guess my response is two-fold:
1) I am envious that you are able to get so many women to hunt with you; and
2) If they don't like the rifle, tell them to remember their own.

I must admit, I have never been to a deer camp where someone forgot their rifle. I'm dumbstruck just thinking about it.

#12 ·
Re: weatherby=black & blue

Try 77.0 gr. of RE 22 for 2,681 fps. using a Barnes 165 gr. TSX bullet(deadly on deer of any size and the recoil will be less than loads using 180 gr. bullets). Recoil will be in the 20 - 24 foot pound range which is a little above that of a .30-06 loaded with the same bullet at a velocity of about 2,900 fps. This is the load I worked up for a friend and my wife shoots it out of my .300 Weatherby’s without any problems. Accuracy is good too. Just to add that I found that accuracy started to drop off with velocities any lower. You know there could be a downside to this. Your friends may ask to borrow your .300 Weatherby more often. :-D Lawdog
:D

#15 ·
jdt48653 said:
P.S. while i think the 308 is a fine cartridge,i think it is greatly
over rated.
So do I. :grin:
Getting tired of the whole short action superiority argument all over actually. :?
Go the '06! :mrgreen:

#16 ·
I don't think I'd cut back on the load. It probably does its best work at full throttle. It sems you have two options. You can attach a muzzle brake and live with the additional noise or you can try a Pachmyer Decelerator Pad to dampen the felt recoil. When shooting at the bench you might also consider a Past Magnum Recoil Shield. It'll treat your shoulder much more kindly. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

#18 ·
Since we don't usually feel much recoil when shooting at an animal I'm guessing your problem is primarily at the range. There's no point in telling you to change rifle calibers. That doesn't help you with the one you have. I'd start by installing a Pachmyer Decelerator pad or a Limbsaver one. Both will help but not cure the problem. A Past Recoil Shield will definitely eat up most of the recoil at the range, and they come in magnum versions. I wouldn't put a muzzle brake on it because those things will wake the dead. Sometimes we need help with heavy recoilers, but it is there for us. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

#19 ·
Two options:

1. Load it down, but like many said you would be better off with a less powerful caliber. (i.e., 30-06, 308, 7 mag, etc.)

2. Install a Mercury Recoil reducing bar in your stock, and put on a Limbsaver recoil pad. This cut the the felt recoil in half on my 12 guage slug gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.