Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Handi rifle with a nickel receiver and a couple of nickel rifle barrels on GunBr*ker. It came with a laminated thumbhole stock that I’m not sure I‘ll keep. This outfit also came with a chrome 36” 12 gauge barrel. I didn’t pay much attention to the shotgun barrel on the ad because I was really interested in the rifle barrels. Definitely the weirdest barrel I’ve ever seen for one of these guns. I didn’t know that chrome barrels were offered. This one has lots of ”character” with many small blemishes.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Shotgun

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant Wood

Plant Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood

Reactions: NWMSHunter

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I had a 36in 12 ga I think it was a model 176. Looked just like that one. Just guessing I'd say they did card/ turkey shoots set up like that. You may want to see if the barrel has been worked on. Maybe a tighten choke? Measure it see what you get

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
51,618 Posts
I agree with Shaner, the only purpose for a chrome barrel would be for turkey shoot guns, what waterfowl or turkey hunter would want a chrome barrel!! I didn't find any chrome 36" barrels in the book, but there were many 36" barrels made with 2¾", 3" and 3½" chambers, if H&R made a factory chromed barrel as a special edition, it's always possible as a special edition, but anyone can have one chromed or even do it themself, it's also possible it's just highly polished.

Tim

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim, The more I look at this thing I think you may be correct. It may well be highly polished. I think I may chop this thing off to 18” and put my crappiest stock on it and leave it in my tractor cab.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. I think Tim called it on this one - looks like somebody polished a turd.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Mike, I think a high RPM buffer wheel and some compound made this final product. Before the hack job I believe I would give it a whirl here or on ebay to see what I will pull.

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
1,030 Posts
I haven't seen one this length on Fleabay. It might do pretty well if someone doesn't bite here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I shoot one of these 36" barrels, and had another one shortened and had a vent rib put on it. My grand kids have a lot of fun shooting them because of the relatively light weight.

We load 7/8 ounce shells at 1,180 fps. to keep recoil to a minimum. It doesn't take very long at all for 100 rounds to disappear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm assembling some early rebound hammer frames currently. If you decide to sell that crazy barrel let me know. I like weird stuff. lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
“Patterning“ this 36” barrel was interesting. Certainly not real patterning but interesting. I fired one round of 7.5 shot and one round of 5 shot at about 30 yards. Then I shot one of each using a topper with a 24” barrel and a buck kicker full choke tube. The shorter barrel with the buck kicker full choke tube pictured below was quite a bit tighter. The buck kicker tube is designed for use with buckshot so this gun may have performed even better if I’d taken time to change to a regular X Full tube. I put the 36” barrel on flebay where it has several bids so it is gone as soon as the auction ends.
Trigger Air gun Gun accessory Wood Blade

1 - 12 of 12 Posts