Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been around guns all my life and i have heard these terms just as long, but i have never understood what was meant so explain please.
i know what a .45 cal or .223. cal., ect is. what is meant by, for example a .45/70. demeaning is something i understand-so that is ok--go ahead and abuse me. if you want to know how to do it properly just contact my wife-she is wonderful at it.
blessings

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
In the old days of black powder loads thats how they described their loads and a 45/70 was a 45cal propeled by 70gr. of black powder, npw go kiss your wife life isnt all that complicated. :D JIM

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll kiss her ifin it don't lead to sumthin else :lol: thanks fer the quick reply.
blessings
ps- do i assume this means it has no revelance today?

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
stupid question

The 45-70 does refer to the powder charge, and is not relevent only because the modern solid head cartridge case holds less powder than the original balloon head case, so a modern 45-70 cartridge will only hold 60 grains of black powder. A modern 44-40 or 38-40 hold 30 to 35 gr of black. Most people load them today with smokeless, unless they have an older gun, so the smokeless load bears no relation to the black powder weight. However, other designations lo might refer to dates, like the 30-06, referring to the date of adoption by the US Army Ordinance, of 1906. The 30-30 was 30 grains of a smokeless powder. 38-44 was a 38 cartridge desined for a S&W revolver on a 44 frame.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
That is true for the 45/70 but cartridge nomiclature is really confusing. For instance a 450/400 Nitro Express does refer to powder charge, instead it refers to the parent case from which this round was derived. This is also true of the 22/250 Remington. The parent case of course being the venerable 250/3000 Savage. In that instance the 3000 doesn't refer to powder charge or parent case, it refers to the velocity of the projectile... Bore diameters are also sort of interesting. When we say 22 as in .222 Remington what is the bore size? Actually there are what are considered 22 calibers that range from .222 (22 rimfire) to .228 (22 HighPower). By the way the 222 Remington actually has a .224 bore! arrrrrrrrrgg!!!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
70 grains can be made to fit in a 45-70, vibration, drop tubes. Are two ways. It's a tight fit, but it works.
How about the 45-70-405? 45 Cal, 70 grains BP, 405grain bullet!
Kinda wish they were all that simple.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Yes like everyone has explained there are alot of differences in the cartridge markings, get a real good reloading manual and they have a brief history of the caliber in some cases explaining it origin also another excellent book that I enjoy having around is CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD it has current and obselete cartridges and a brief history of them lots of good reading when the wife dont want to be kissed. :D JIM

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you folks have been a world of help too me and i appreciate it--but now i'm really confused :oops: :oops: :wink: that is not to complain-but somehow i know an answer that i'm not sure about the question :eek: :grin: oh well when you folks deal with a dummy see what ya git.
blessings

·
Registered
165 Posts
Once a teacher of mine said "The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask." You may never get the answer if you don't ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts