Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wells Sharps

I have a new Wells Sharps in 45-90. I have been having some problems getting it to shoot, but I think that I have figured out what I was doing wrong. It is truly a gorgeous gun! I sent my own, highly figured BAstogne walnut to their stock turner , so I knew what I was going to get. The fit and finish is wonderful and when the nut behind the butt figures out how to shoot and load it properly, I will take it to the Quigley shoot. Mori

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oldrifleman and Humboldt:
There are 5 pins on the right side of the rifle. Is the second one up from the butt stock,shiny and not blued ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Guys,

Now here’s the “other” side of the story:

I don't own one, but I have a friend that does, and another that did for a brief period. The one that did, sent it back right after delivery for a full refund. He took quite a few photos which he showed me (and quite a few of us at last years “Q”) and I would have down the same thing. The woodwork was terrible, I mean REAL BAD, checkering overruns and gaps in would to metal fit. There was no way it should have left the shop that way. Needless to say after the wait and anticipation, he was pretty unhappy. :cry:

The second friend still owns his, but after about 500 rounds it had to go back as the firing pin hole in the breach block was peening outward and dragging on the brass. He sent it back for repair and had he block back in about a week and a half. They told him that the breech block was soft in that area for some reason. If you’ve ever seen the repairs made to a Sharps breach block as depicted in the Sellers book (don’t know what page, sorry) that is how they fixed it. Me, I would have settled for a new breach block OR the same option friend one took. :x

Now, these are only two rifles, but they’re the only two that I actually know of. If you guys have questions, just drop me an Email and I’ll pass you off to the two actual owners.

Chuck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wells Owners

Chuck, I remember you said this earlier on the "other forum", I am sorry you have not seen any of the good ones. I have about 1100 rounds through mine ( serial under 10) and no complaints. I agree that letting these obvious errors out is not the way to do business, but I do believe he has things under control now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oldrifleman,

I'm betting you're right, the two I know of were their "early" production guns.

I can still vividly remember the photos of the stockwork though, and the last time I saw work that bad was done by............

ME! :eek: :eek:

And that's why I pay other folks to do it :lol:

Chuck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Coydog C. et al, Yup, my Wells Sharps has a shiny pin in the action. AND, I went to the range and tried your 45-90 load of 76gr 02 cartridge with the P. Jones bullet---I put all ten shots at 200 yards in the black on a MR21 target, 4 in the 10 ring, the rest in the 9. I am very happy now. Other folks that were shooting were surprised, as there was a small gale blowing today, them big bullets just plow through the wind(with a little assistance on the Soule sight). Mori

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mori,

Glad the 76.o worked out. When I chronograph loads, I go for 20 shot strings so I can get a good feel for what a load is doing. When I chronographed that load, get this, I had the first 8 shots (after two foulers) with the same MV! Of course then I shot the 9th. Still it ended up with a SD of 4 and an ES of 11 for 20 shots. That lot of powder has held a consistent 3-5 SD with even my initial loads. The only other experimenting I’ll do with that load is with neck tension, and I need to try some .060 plastic.

You’ll get used to keeping those grease grooves covered, and then you’ll want it that way all the time.

Chuck

Kind of surprising how little wind there is at 200 with a 540 grain..huh?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts