Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 22 Hornet that followed me home. It's an older one, has the full Mannlicher stock, original sights, 2 piece scope bases (?), and a Trashco 3.5X10X50 World Class Plus scope. Case hardened receiver, sling swivels, and it's the slim barrel profile. Has a few beauty marks on the stock, but the metal is great. I probably gave too much for it, $225 out the door, but I've been looking for one for 3 years or so, so I bought it. I saw a couple of other Handis, but the owners were smoking crack or something. They wanted more for a beater than I could buy a new one for, and none of them were odd calibers, or particularly desirable.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Went to the Tanner show yesterday in Denver. For my 6 bucks, about a third of the tables had tarps on them == no idea where the dealer was. Lots of overpriced stuff and Spray lacquered stocks. Saw only one Handi in a .22 I didn't want. Could find no 8 x 57 dies, even at robbery prices , or anything to make 8 x 57 JR(why I went, to help out a friend). Now they won't even let you back in the second day with a hand stamp. Me thinks this is the last time I go to this thieves bazaar. The Crossroads is bad enough, at least it is held close to home.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I went to a gun show in Sandy, UT yesterday and bought nothing. I saw some nice rifles but most of the tables were old military rifles or of the AR family. I saw a few Handi's but no BC's which is what I want next ... I think. I did see one Marlin lever 30-30 ( I love lever actions) from the early 1950's that was in about 95% condition but the price was a little too high in my opinion. My experience has never been that great in finding/buying at gun shows. Maybe next time ...

bjm

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's the same story here in Wisconsin . . . what happened to gun shows in the last few years? Most of the worthwhile items are overpriced, lots of the junk is overpriced . . .

I usually buy second-hand parts (found a great H&R straight-comb stock for $20 last year) or books, when the book vendor is there. Also old cartridges and classic paper shotshells. There's a cowboy shooter who shows up from time to time with cartons of great old paper shells from the good old days, at twenty cents apiece. How long can that last??

Other than the above, it's slim pickins at the local shows here in the Coulee country of western Wisconsin.

·
Registered
125 Posts
.....I personally have two friends who are ffl holders....one is a full time gunsmith and gunstore owner of some 20+ years and the other is a part time dealer who is retired military....what is killing the gun dealing business is the margins on new guns and ammo.....the average gun dealer here in the Northeast is only getting a 10-percent gross markup on new guns....more on used....and the ammo is not profitable because walmart sells it for less than they can buy it.........

Therefore, without making a killing on trade ins and outright purchases from people looking to sell and/or the odd repair, most gun shops are struggling.

Going to a gunshow far from home involves packing up and traveling to the show, gas, food and lodging, and table rentals. Pretty soon you have to sink 400-500 bucks into the show and then you have to sell 4000-5000 worth of guns at 10-percent markup just to break even.

...that is why you are seeing inflated prices from some dealers...they are hoping someone will walk in who just can't leave without that particular firearm....

...years ago the shows were a bargain hunters paradise but the margins are so thin that dealers are dropping like flies.........

...Personally, I have seen some decent prices here and there but hey, gas is 303 a gallon and milk is 4.75....gun dealers need to pay the rent too!...

....but being an impoverished truck driver myself I know what you mean, one guy had a .35 whelen rocky mt. elk foundation handi with the long bbl in rough shape and he wanted 350 and would not budge one penny........

·
Registered
343 Posts
Of course, you're right, Andrew. I didn't think it through, but that doesn't change the fact that the economy is killing the gun business and the shooting sports in general. Shot reached $50 per bag this season, and I quit shooting trap as a result. Gas here is $3.10/gallon, so no deer hunting up north this year.

What is the everyday shooter going to do? Soon. it'll be a rich man's sport, like in Europe. Makes me wish I'd been born 50 years earlier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts