Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about a western (New Mexico up to Montana) elk hunt before the knees and eyes give out. I would appreciate any experiences or advice for non-resident elk hunting by older (late 60's) flatlanders from Michigan and east coast. We're experienced whitetail hunters but have only one antelope/mulie hunt in SE Wyoming under our belts.

Thank you

Troll

·
Registered
768 Posts
Altitude will be your biggest enemy. Anything over 6,000 ft will be difficult even with good conditioning unless you plan on spending extra 3 days at altitude to gain acclimation. I've been hunting at high altitude for quite a few hunts and the difference in spending time to acclimate is well worth the result. Instead of spending the first 3 days of your hunt getting acclimated, thus, not have full physicality is a terrible waste of valuable hunting time. If you spend leisure time at altitude before the hunt, you hit the ground hunting on your first day and can get after it even in your 60's. I am 66 and have no problem even with 5 stents at altitude just by conditioning and acclimizing 3 days at altitude. The best advice is to condition the **** out of yourself which translates to walking at least 7-10 miles a day in your hunting boots if you can. Get acclimated and then hunt.

Forget everything you know about hunting whitetails in Michigan and instead think of hunting turkeys first thing in morning. Elk are different animals and you have to go after them for most part. Think of cruising, glassing, listening and attack just like turkeys. You very rarely wait for elk on stand, they are a cruising type animal and you have to cover a lot of ground usually to get on to them.

If you are hunting with rifle, .300 Win Mag is probably best all around rifle to take. Practice off cross sticks to at least 400 yards if you can. 180 grain bullet or even 200 grain Accubond is really good out of the .300WM. Monopods are not very good past 200 yards for good stable shot. Range finder is a must. Bow, fixed blade and practice out to at least 50 yds.

I am also from MI and PM me if you would like to talk some more.
Muddy

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Muddy, thank you for the insights.

fatercat, Yes, at the very least something to pack one's success out to the road end!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts