Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't understand why fractions aren't used in naming cartridges. For example, the .375 H&H magnum could have been called the 31/83rds H&H Magnum. What gives? It seems more British than using decimal numbers.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Questor said:
I can't understand why fractions aren't used in naming cartridges. For example, the .375 H&H magnum could have been called the 31/83rds H&H Magnum. What gives? It seems more British than using decimal numbers.
What a pain in the rear that would be. And it sounds funny. :-D :D

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Questor said:
Do you actually sit up at night thinking this stuff up?

"Oh, I hope not!" (with apologies to Jose Jimenez)

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it! Why did't I think of that!?! We could expand on that so the diameter can be computed with one set of parameters and the trajectory between 100 and 400 yards can be computed with another set of parameters. Now let's see, we'll just take the secant lay of the Gudermanian of a and....

The reason for this thought is that, for example, you have several cartridges of the same diameter. The names vary like .22, .223, .224, .225, 5.56mm, etc. I think a little creativity could really expand this. Imagine what you can do with just fractions. We've still got a long way to go before we get more confusing than the Continental Europeans, with all the proprietary cartridges with the same names, but different dimensions. But you gotta start somewhere.

Other units of measure have yet to be explored also. For example, angstroms, picoparsecs, and so on.

Ricciardelli, I'm just holding a mirror to some of the absurdities we live with. I think it's because I've been reading about the era when everybody and their pet dog had a wildcat named after them. This is just a logical extension of that sort of nonsense. Of course, I still have my own wildcat, the .45 Questor, which is a 45ACP cartridge shortened by 1/1000" and loaded to velocities and bullet weights that match the 45ACP. It's amazing how many people use this cartridge and don't even know it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Fractions or decimals, 6 'o one half dozen tother given that they are mathematically equal. Who knows Questor, had the timeline of firearms history gone a tad in a different direction or the marketing gurus had infiltrated the industry earlier, you mght well be asking "why aren't decimals used to designate calibers?"

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the marketing gurus had gotten there earlier, we may be using colors to describe our calibers. Cartridges already vary like neckties and hemlines in skirts. Short one year, long the next. Another degree or two of angle at the neck.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Great idea! If you happen to be a german: (motto) why make it simple when, with a little more effort, you can make it @#!!&* complicated.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I think the cartridges should have better descriptions of what they are used for and be labeled German style.
Ex. Bigbangnrecoilpachadermhalter and
Verysmallhivelocityvarmintvaporizer

To tell differentiate between calibers with similar purpose we could add the British system.
Ex. Bigbangnrecoilpachadermhalter MkII

For improved cartridges - Bigbangnrecoilpachadermhalter MkII*

This would make things easier for those mathematically challenged.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if complicating it is the objective, we first need a numbering system. I propose binary. My latest cartridge is a 000110101011010111. It's an upgrade of my 0001101010101010111.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Actually, two centuries ago American gun makers did use fractions to describe different cartridges:

.45 - 2 7/8"
.45 - 3 1/4"
.50 - 3 1/4"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts