Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
26,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/whats-in-your-range-bag/

By Beth Alcazar // 07/31/2018

A range bag is a necessary transportation accessory for the “normal” things you need at the shooting range as well as for the more specified or unusual items that tag along. A bag filled with the right gear can make your shooting experience much more valuable and enjoyable.

Besides eye and ear protection, guns, holsters, magazines, ammunition and an IFAK (individual first-aid kit with rescue essentials), what is a girl to pack for a little practice, a shooting competition or a gun training class? Our must-haves will likely differ from person to person and will probably change based on the purpose of the trip. But whether for an afternoon, a day, a weekend or a week-long adventure, here are some things to consider stowing away.

FOR YOU:

Bandages and Antibiotic Ointment — Throw in a small first-aid kit for those smaller cuts or blisters.

Sunscreen — Even if it’s cloudy or cool.

Lip Balm with SPF — So you do not end up with dry or chapped lips.

Bug Spray or Wipes — A good idea for outdoor ranges and warmer weather — especially since I am convinced that the most bloodthirsty insects lie in wait at the range.

Hand Wipes — For lead and dirt. They are great to tuck away in a pocket for times you need to clean up but cannot get to soap and water.

Face Wipes — Or toner/cleaner can help get particles and dirt off your face.

Hat —Usually a must to keep the hot sun — and the hot brass — off your head.

Hairbands — And maybe a few bobby pins or barrettes, if needed. These small, simple items can come in handy.

Food and Water — Pack gum or mints, a refillable water bottle and some snacks (protein and good things, if possible).

Towel or Cooling Rag — For those hot temperatures.

Gloves and Hand Warmers — Great for colder weather.

Extra Clothes —For temperatures that are warmer or cooler than what you expect. Layers are great because you can take them off or add to them. Consider wet-weather gear.

Extra Socks — These can make a big difference for wet, cold or sore feet.

FOR YOUR GUN:

Maintenance Tools — A small cleaning kit, some lube and a multi-tool might come in handy once in a while. No matter how well you maintain your firearm, there is always a chance you may need to work on it at the range.

Chamber Flags — Empty-chamber indicators are a must at some ranges, so it is always good to have a few stowed away.

Gun Mat or Rug — Can come in handy if you need to transport, work on or protect a firearm.

FOR THE TARGETS:

Target Pasters or Masking Tape — These come in handy for taping up targets or covering shots.

Staple Gun and Extra Staples — These are staples (pun intended, obviously) for many range bags.

FOR WHATEVER:

Zip-Top and Grocery Bags — Bring one (or two or 15) for carrying any extra items, such as an interesting round, brass for reloading or any items that get dirty or wet.

Gorilla Tape —Many say that it is better than duct tape. It is a handy item for those just-in-case situations.

Shot Timer — Jokingly known as a brain melter, this can be helpful for matches or for anything timed. Don’t forget extra batteries.

Snap-Caps —These dummy rounds can help if you need them.

Notebook and Pen — For jotting down information, drills, results or other things to remember. A waterproof pad that writes in the rain (or in the humidity) is a great option. It is also a great idea to have personal emergency contact information written here.

Permanent Markers —Red and black ink. They are great for writing on targets, cardboard or wherever else larger notes or messages are required.

Cash — Dollars and change (in case there are vending machines or snack tables) are a good addition.

Knife — If you have not packed one already.

Small Flashlight — For darkness or for dark spaces.

What did I forget? What do you always pack in your range bag? Just keep in mind that your range bag should include what works best for you and should be set up to best serve your needs. And for that, I say, “To each, thier own.”

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Well Bill, the first time my wife shot the pistol we got off of you, she was consistently hitting left.
And we didn't have a single small screwdriver in the ammo case.

I think I'll make a list of things we should keep in it. :)

·
Administrator
26,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back when I shot a lot I carried a range box rather than bag. I had most everything I might need to do any adjustments or repairs that could be made at the range. I had another of similar size to hold the ammo. These days my firing line is 50' at most from the house so it isn't so important to have a lot of stuff up at the range. I do still have the range box in the storage building by the range tho. It has less in it than it used to but still has enough.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
It seems like I'm always missing something when I get to the range. No doubt because I don't keep a range bag packed, but just pack one before going with the stuff appropriate to what I'm going to shoot that day. No way I could carry a big enough bag to cover everything I might need for shotgun, rifle, and handgun.

Maybe 3 different bags would be a solution, but would entail a lot of duplication such as 3 staple guns, etc.

If I'm going to take snacks and water/soft drinks I put those in a cooler, not my range bag!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Leatherman tool, solvent, rod and patches or a bore snake. Loosening the fouling while warm is nice.

Tape, and a sharpie is very nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I may have overlooked it but no one mentioned a cleaning rod. I have experienced stick cases and there isn't much you can do without a rod.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Whoa! Way too much! Getting a sensory overload here. OK, gun and extra magazines, ammo, hearing protection, binoculars or a spotting scope (carried separately), table pad and rest (also carried separately), staple gun and cleaning stuff. Period.

Anything edible is in the truck, like coffee, a samich, snack bars er sumptin else, I-phone for pics when I get a really good group (not edible, the I-phone that is..).

Anything medical is in a first aid kit always also in the truck along with a incredibly well endowed inflatable nurse. Ooooops. Just sayin', that's all.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If Im going its a range DAY.
Range bag has a small breakdown type rest, spotting scope, Chrony, stapler, targets, tape, ear muffs.
An old tackle box is a tool & cleaning kit to do most light repairs or adjustments.
Work lunch box carries water, snacks, first aid kit.
2 MTM notebooks for recording info on reloads as I shoot. (cause if I wait a day I don't remember)

Oh yeah, I take a bunch o' guns and ammo as well. (almost always get the right ammo & guns)

JD

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
In my big bag I keep my front and rear rest, precision screwdrivers, magic markers, a roll of nylon string and a roll of masking tape, clothes pins, staple gun w/ staples, pads for my elbows 2 sets of ear muffs and I had some ear plugs, and I dunno exactly what else. In my small bag goes ammo for whatever firearms I have, a 3pc cleaning rod, a nylon bag with a small broom and dustpan for collecting brass, stick on dots for targets,my Lula loader for my 9mm magazines. There's also my spotting scope and I dunno what is in the trunk of my car in various nylon duffel bags.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
I also have a range wagon. It's a little red wagon for hauling all my stuff, bought at Walmart.
I also use it for hauling fishin stuff to the water.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Since I own my own range, my bag consist of ammo & cold ice tea. Usually a snack and a sight adjustment tool. Range is less than 5 min from house by truck or golf cart. Hanging steel, targets, ear protection are kept at my shooting bench. 4 years ago I built myself a skeet range too. Much fun to be had at home. I am Blessed.
3rd pic is a case deflector with a trough at the bottom to catch flying auto brass.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: Ex 49er

·
Registered
90 Posts
At the public range were I shoot the most I will usually have three carry boxes. First box has all my cleaning supplies and tools gunsmith screw driver, brass hammer and drifts, steel roll pin punches and so on. My range box hold sand bags, target hanging supplies, markers and pens, and spotting scope. Then my soft bag is for ammo and pistols if I intend to hit the pistol range while there.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I have a range bag that always goes with me to range sessions and pistol matches.
In it will be my pistol,magazines and Ammo, Ear plugs and muffs, shooting glasses. Multi tool,Extra Fiber Optic for sights, Tylenol, snack bars and a water bottle. Extra roll of pasters, couple of band aids.
I also carry a dry box for practice sessions that has my stapler, allen wrenches, screw drivers,extra batteries, pens and sharpies, sight adjusting tool, and some primary extra parts. I leave it in the SUV during a match so I always have it nearby!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts