Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious on everyone’s thoughts on what the “must have” contender rifle barrels are.

For meI think a well rounded collection would include a 22lr barrel, 223 barrel, and 30-30 barrel. Beyond that, a 45/70 and 410 or 28 gauge barrel would be tempting.

In developing my list look for readily available calibers from most retail outlets, but I know offers are reloadeds chasing the most efficient case shape and bullet combination that the contender frame can handle.

Is my list missing any calibers? What would your list include?

·
Registered
I have a full safe, but Thompson Center fills the most slots.
62 Posts
I have a .22lr, .223, .357 mag, .44 mag. I'd like to add a 7-30 Waters and a .35 Remington.

Reactions: Leucoandro

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’ve owned over two dozen barrels so I’m a bad one to ask, but I agree that one pistol caliber barrel would round out the collection. Either a .32-20, .327 Magnum or .357 Mag/Max would be my choice. I love my .45-70 Super 16 barrel, but it isn’t for everyone.

·
Registered
231 Posts
…22 Mag
223 (6.5 grendel in case you want an off cartridge)
260 Rem (in case you want an off cartridge)
338 Federal (in case you want an off cartridge)
280 Rem or 7mm-08 (in case you want an off cartridge)
30-06
375H&H

A 460 SW would be good to have as well (it can shoot 454 casull and 45 colt if needed.)
A 357 Mag is a good common caliber to have too.
Wow, someone didn‘t even bother to read the title of this thread. Most of the calibers mentioned above would be very dangerous in a Contender and should never be used - if you could find someone foolish enough to chamber a barrel in them. The ability of some folks to offer horrible, dangerous advice never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have a T/C Custom Shop 22 Hornet barrel among others. That barrel is one
that makes it to the range more than others. A 38/357 barrel has been mentioned,
also a very good choice. For the sake of nostalgia, a 25-20 barrel is a hoot!
FM

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would really like a 7-30 waters improved and 30-30 improved. The 23" 6.8 custom shop stock barrel might be interesting but they don't come up much. I think a 22lr, a 223 and a 30-30 would cover most people's needs and have readily available ammo. But I like to tinker so things just slightly off the norm pique my interest.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I’ve had so many pistol and carbine barrels over the years I’ve lost track of the calibers. I use to buy them because they interested me and we’re just fun to shoot. Not because I needed then for hunting a certain animal. Now a days it’s different, I keep the barrels I have a use for. These types of lists should be different for most everyone. State regulations control what calibers are legal for what game they can be used for. Here in Ohio, this list works for me and is what I have And use.

Carbine barrels:

17 HMR
357 Maximum
223 Remington

Pistol barrels:

357 Maximum
223 Remington
44 Magnum

Never got into the Encore‘s mainly because I had all the bigger calibers in my other rifles. I’m wearing my T/C Contender in 44 Magnum in the picture above my user ID.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts