Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use some commercial spice blends at times, other times I choose my own combinations. Some things I've figured out are that "Monterey Chicken Seasoning" is actually great on steaks, combining seasoned salt with garlic powder, pepper, and some crushed rosemary is good for most meats, and the same seasonings are great on veggies in smaller doses. What do you use?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
as in dried bottled spices ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Initially I was thinking that way since I found that chicken seasoning worked well on steak but if you have a favorite blend of fresh spices share that too, I'm always trying new combinations for the grill! I love fresh rosemary with pork, for example. Let's hear it, what do you use?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
my most frequently used are bolner's fiesta brand onion powder and garlic powder.
i use more of those 2 than anything else. next would be the fiesta brand fajita seasoning.
they also make the best pinto bean seasoning i've used as far as a one-shot.
their spanish rice seasoning is also great.
then depending on what's being cooked cajun injector brand hickory grill or cajun shake seasoning.
i'v used tony's in the past, but they started using too much cayenne in their mix, and it overpowers
the food taste. i use a lot of black pepper as i assume everyone else does, so i won't expound on that.
for boiled or steamed vegetables (not pinto's ) i use the regular cavender's all purpose greek seasoning.
cavender's is really good but it has msg and the grown ups say msg is bad for you.
i used to buy some seasoning called cest bon , which is about perfect as far as cajun spice goes,
but it got difficult for me to get local so i just use the bit i have left very sparingly.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Number one with a bullet Famous Daves chicken rub. I also like Montreal steak seasoning.

Sent via Pony Express rider through Indian country.

·
24,003 Posts
we go through a lot of Monterey steak seasoning. I use it on about anything that id put pepper on.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Spagettie: parsley, tyme, rosemary and sage with basil italian sausage cut up for meat balls.
Pizzas: oregano, black and red pepper.
Steaks: black pepper, garlic salt
Most everything else: garlic salt, black pepper.
-
I have several mixes but it gets old and cakes up because I forget to use the premixed.
Old Bay I remember to use.
-
I will use the spice that was applied to a meat and add it to a white or red wine or water with a dash of soy or worchestershire for a marinade and baste.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
We've never found a commercial premix that actually worked. Our individual dry spices take up a lot of space but we can adjust their use as we see fit. It's all part of learning what you like and how to use it. Besides, our tastes change over time due to a lot of things.

·
24,003 Posts
someone else that knows that hamburger meatballs have no place in spaghetti!! Meatballs are suppose to be Italian sausage! No hamburger goes in my lasagna either.
blind said:
Spagettie: parsley, tyme, rosemary and sage with basil italian sausage cut up for meat balls.
Pizzas: oregano, black and red pepper.
Steaks: black pepper, garlic salt
Most everything else: garlic salt, black pepper.
-
I have several mixes but it gets old and cakes up because I forget to use the premixed.
Old Bay I remember to use.
-
I will use the spice that was applied to a meat and add it to a white or red wine or water with a dash of soy or worchestershire for a marinade and baste.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Those would be Penzy's Foxpoint & North Woods. I've tried their Tsardust - kind of a almost sweet, almost curry, almost cinnamon blend. It makes an interesting rice pudding and apple pie. I need to try it in mince pie.

I like Tradewinds brand Taco Seasoning mix, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.