Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

Can someone please suggest what a good "commuter" small truck would be? I'm looking for a used pickup that gives good mileage (30-plus MPG's hopefully) to use strictly as a 'drive-to-work' vehicle, even as small as an Isuzu Pup or similar small truck with a bed to haul stuff in town. I might use it on occassion to hunt or fish in, but usually will resort to my Cherokee for off-road use. Thanks ahead of time. :wink:

·
Administrator
26,086 Posts
What 'baby' truck gets the best gas mileage

If gas mileage is your main decision criteria you'd be far better off with a small car than small truck. Some thing like the Kia Sportage might do over 30 for you when well tuned. If there is a pickup that does I'm not aware of it.

·
Registered
453 Posts

Yeah, get one of the older Isuzu Diesels either in pickup form or the Trooper. These things are great, and get great gas mileage, but they are difficult to find. If you do be sure to put a "Duramax" sticker on it. :wink:

·
Registered
95 Posts

I get 21.5 on the highway mostly with my Chevy Colorado crew cab. I only got 19.5 with my Cherokee.

·
2,402 Posts

try the 2001-current rangers. for ten grand or less they get 30 on the highway

-Matt

·
Registered
324 Posts

if you could find an old subaru brat that aint rusted out you'll get huge mileage too......but then again when was the last time you saw one with the body still in tact?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

:cry: I know most of the small trucks get great gas mileage but sometimes not as good as the big trucks. Before I get into this let me say I worked for Toyota for a number of years and think they build one of the best products on the road. I drove a toyota extended cab, 4x4, stick shift v-6 for years. I got about 14 MPG around town and at best 18 on the highway. When I hook my bass boat on the back, I got about 6 mpg. I also have a F-250, Crew Cab, 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel engine and aautomatic transmission. I get 14.7 mpg around town and average about 23 on the highway as long as I keep it about 70 mph. I hook the bass boat on this one and get about 18 on the highway. Depending on what you haul/tow the little truck enging may have to work too hard to provide good fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies. The suggestion about getting a Sportage or CR-V or similar vehicle is a good one.

·
Registered
297 Posts

The Jeep Liberty has a 4 cyl turbo diesel available now. Supposed to be 30+ % better mileage than the gas burner.

·
Registered
506 Posts

The best fuel economy I ever got in a truck was a 1994 S-10 with a 4.3L V-6, auto, and a long bed. It would average around 26-27mpg.

·
Registered
336 Posts
gas milage

Well,its not a baby truck but the most powerful mid-sized truck.I have a 4450 lb 2005 nissan frontier with crew cab.It gets 22 to 24 mile per gallon on the freeway.Now thats with a automatic with overdrive and rated 265 HP at 5600 rpm.I love this truck.I had the smaller 2004 frontier with the old 180 HP 6 cylinder and it barely got 20 miles per gallon on freeway.
My buddy at work has the big brother "titan" and it gets 15 to 17 mile per gallon.I think the 2005 frontier is the best of both worlds.Thats also without a bed cover.Add one and it might increase another 1 mile per gallon.
Shooter

·
1,876 Posts

01 Frontier Quad Cab 4x4...I average around 19-21 mpg in mixed driving...23-24 on the highway...I have a tonneau cover to try and squeeze every bit of mileage I can out of this vehicle...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cheyanne

I get 27mpg in my chevorlet cheyanne but it is tuned with exaust and intake so that makes a large difference. Oh yeah its the 305 not 350 that makes a difference also.

·
Registered
46 Posts

I have a green Dodge pickup that has my business stickers on both sides, and I have a Dodge Dew-Eze that also has my business stickers on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts

I'm really not sure! I know the Chevy Tahoe my mom drives gets about 12 miles to the gallon and both my trucks do better than that.

·
Registered
301 Posts

I just sold my full size Dodge 4x4 and downsized to a Chevy S-10 with a 4 banger and I am getting every bit of 30-32 MPG if not a little more. I can get 170 miles out of 5 gallons of gas. I just tuned it up with new plugs & wires, also had the cooling system flushed and synthetic oil put in. I don't down down shift when I come to a stop or slow down, I just push in on the clutch and use the brakes (I think this makes a big difference) I also had a 1994 ford ranger with 4 cyl a few years ago and it got very good MPG as well but I don't remember what it was.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
small truck

go to gasmileage.gov or sumpin like that. there is a site that will tell yu the mileage on all vehicles but it is not always totally accurate but will give yu a baseline. my nissan car (sentra) shows on there to get 3-4 mpg less than what i get. 39.5 mpg. the best i ever got from a truck was 35mpg from a 81 chev luv with isuzu diesel. however, the trannys are weak in them and plenty spensive to rebuild. my 98 nissan frontier 4 cyl will get 22mpg if yu baby it but has more power and better suspension to pull my boat than my 2.8 v6 s10 did. search out your info and make yur choices.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts