Graybeard Outdoors banner

What broadhead?

46K views 163 replies 123 participants last post by  ohiobucks 
#1 ·
What broadhead do you use? Why? What has worked for you?? Let's swap some ideas... Are you thinking of changing your broadhead? What are you looking for? :D

#3 ·
What Broadhead.

I currently use the Magnus two blade 125gr. broadhead for deer hunting. Why? It flys well with my setup and it's easy to sharpen. I am a finger shooter and I use a Reflex Caribou. The bow is very quiet and forgiving but it won't set any speed records. I've found that these simple two blade designs work very well at my bow speed (about 220fps.).

In the past I have used Muzzys, Rocky Mountains, Satallites and more recently I tried the new Montec G5. Provided they were sharp, they all worked but none were as easy to keep sharp as the Magnus. The only thing I don't use for deer is expanding broadheads. At the slower velocities that my setup generates they just don't penetrate very well.

I use this same broadhead for turkey hunting, the only difference is that I dull the blade.

#5 ·
I use Muzzys(4 blades,125 gr). Until they make a mechanical that will go thru bone the way the Muzzys do, I'll stick with what works for me. I've heard some horror stories at the local bow shop about mechanicals bouncing right back out the same hole they went in, without doing much damage after hitting bone.

#6 ·
broadheads

I have been Bowhunting Biggame for 45 years now. I have used many over the years & try new ones almost yearly BUT from the time they came on the market in the 70s I have a Rocky Mountain Razor 125 gr. 3 blade when it is time to go hunting. I have taken Elk, Black Bear, Caribou, Whitetail, Mule deer, Fallow deer, Red deer, Axis deer & sevearl Wild Hogs-most decent size-150# to 250#. Oh, I have a few roasters too.
I have also taken several of these animals with traditional 60# recurve(Elk, Bear, Boar, Whitetail) & that head mounted on a 2117 or 2216 Aluminum shaft. I shoot compound now @ 60# & they always do the job-I see no reason to change.
I was also a Pro shooter many years ago & owned 2 archery shops & lanes for 15 years, so, I have seen em all, good & bad.
Good luck in you choice.
I have a saying thou-the less moving parts in the field is 1 less thing that can go wrong-especially if you are on a fly in trip.. Good hunting...

#7 ·
Thunderhead 125

Thunderhead 125 is the only one that I will use. Drove one completely through a rear leg of a doe one time, through the lower body cavity and hit the other leg on the way out. Still razor sharp and looked like new. :grin:

#8 ·
I used to use Thunderhead 125, and switched to Muzzy 90's 4 blade when I went to carbon. I was looking for a flat shooting combo for shooting with one sight pin. The setup has worked well for me on deer and one hog. I really feel comfortable with the cut on impact of the Thunderheads and the Muzzy. :D

#9 ·
i've shot the rocky 3-blades, thunderhead 3-blades, slick trick 4-blades, muzzy 4-blades, rocket expandables, and the new G5's. i've killed animals with all but the G5's. all in 100 grains. i can shoot them all well, but i get the best arrow flight witht the new muzzy 4-blade 100's. i think most all broadheads will kill an animal, it's the best combination to get your arrow to fly like a dart and hit the mark that counts. just my opinion though! just shoot straight with whatever tip you use.

#10 ·
Which Broadheads?

Last year I used the 85grain Titanium Steelforce Head, it is a wide head for its weight, it passed through both shoulders of my deer at 20 yards. I shoot 30" GoldTipXT with 100grain fieldtips for practice and the 85grain broadheads printed in the same place as the practice heads for me.

#12 ·
I sell some of the closed in flight BH, with no major problems. But for guys that are hunting hard, they all seem to want a good solid fixed blade BH. My number 1 seller last year was Muzzy, then a new BH the rocket fixed blade steel head, it is small dia, but they have a new type of blade called bacon skinner blades, they sure seem to be sharp and fly just like a closed in flight. I used them on a 500 carbon shaft, and got 2 inch groups out to 45 yards. The other brands that have been discussed are all great fixed blade and I sell some of them each year. The key for fixed blade is making sure you have the bow set up for the BH. I use a big dirt pile and keep 3 arrows just for shooting BH. I make sure the bow is setup and fine tuned...

#14 ·
Broadheads

I have never lost a deer with my 90 grain, four blade (actually, 2 crossed blade) Muzzys. 52# compound bow, aluminum arrows, only 180 feet per second, and they've always come out the other side at some point. Switched to 100g Thunderheads at the end of last season just to try something different.

#15 ·
I have used Thunderhead 125's and been very happy with them. Any problems have been my fault, not the T-heads. I still wonder if I should be using UBR (?) rings on my Beman 400's. After seeing what my son did to his deer last year with 4 blade Muzzy 100's, I did buy some of those and will probably give those a try this year. Jim

#16 ·
There is only one broadhead I will use...MUZZY.

Why???? Cause they work, they're tough, and they're ready to cut. No mechanical crap to let you down, no rubber bands to break prematurely. I've never had the blades come loose or come out in a deer. All shots have been complete pass throughs. I practice a lot and I'm very picky about the shots I take on deer. If the shot is not perfect, I don't take it...period.

Since I began using Muzzy, I think I've only had to track one deer and it went 50 yards. Last year, I watch a 7 point go down, the year before I watched a doe and an 8 point go down, the year before I had to track a mature spike (cull) about 50 yards. On that deer, the broadhead cut dead center through a rib going in and cut through another going out. I still achieved a complete pass through.

As long as your bow is tuned properly, they will fly perfectly. The reason a lot of bowhunters get planing is that their bow is out of tune.

#17 ·
What broadhead to use?

The absolute best broadhead on the market I have used is a MUZZY! They fly incredibly straight, penetrate like no other, and have an unmatched blade locking system. The farthest I have had a deer go when hit with a muzzy is 25 yards. If you place them well, they don't go far at all. Muzzy's really are "Bad to the Bone!" I have tried many others and after being unsuccessful, came back to the best head on the market!

#19 ·
I am going with Muzzy 100 3 blades. I had the opportunity to shoot them, thunderheads, and Magnus the other day, and my set up liked the Muzzy the best. It seems the more people I talk to say that you cannot go wrong with a Muzzy Whne it flies well for you.

#20 ·
I tried muzzy's 4 blade 100 grns a month ago and they flew a foot left of where my field tips were. Then I took one of the blades out and made it a two blade. The shots hit like field points. I don't know if I should use these broadheads or buy some new ones. I am shooting an easton epic 400 shaft at 28 1/2 in. 3 four in vanes. 30 inch draw. in a Legacy set at 67#.
Does anyone have advice on a broadhead that will be best for my setup?

#21 ·
Bulldog,

Shoot them as four blades. Sounds like your bow just needs to be tuned so that both the broadheads and field points fly to the same spot on the target.

This is done by moving the arrow rest and/or the nock point. I have had o do it on both of my bows to get the Muzzy 4 blade 100's and 125 to fly the same as the field points.

It takes a little while, but well worth it.

#24 ·
I've used Muzzy, Wasp,and Thunderheads and find myself using nothing anymore but the Thunderheads. They tune well with my set-up and fly well from my bow and have the sharpest blades i've seen on any head as of yet. Any broadhead will do the job if it's put in the vitals from a well tuned bow no matter what kind it is imo.

#25 ·
I have used Thunderheads for about 8 years with GREAT results both in tuning and kill. Started with 125 gr then went to 100 gr and now use 85 gr. The heavier the BH is, the bigger the wound in the deer or hog. I droppend down to the lighter shafts only to pick up speed. I shoot Easton XX75 2213 at 26 in with slightly offset 4in. plastic out of my PSE Lightening Thunderbolt at 70 lbs. The Thunderheads fly accurately to my maximum kill range of 40 yards. I only have to raise my sight pins slightly from field point impact and the TH is right on. Oh yeah I make sure the three blades are in line with my three fletchs.

#26 ·
:D I have been using Spitfires but I'm going to give the Steel Forces a try this season.

I practice with 100 grain tips, will the 100 grain head fly the same or do I need to buy the 85 grain? :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.