Graybeard Outdoors banner
141 - 160 of 164 Posts
kodiak said:
i've shot the rocky 3-blades, thunderhead 3-blades, slick trick 4-blades, muzzy 4-blades, rocket expandables, and the new G5's. i've killed animals with all but the G5's. all in 100 grains. i can shoot them all well, but i get the best arrow flight witht the new muzzy 4-blade 100's. i think most all broadheads will kill an animal, it's the best combination to get your arrow to fly like a dart and hit the mark that counts. just my opinion though! just shoot straight with whatever tip you use.
how fast are you shooting with those muzzy's

rokefert said:
Thunderhead 100....Dont worry about it not opening.....Dont worry about it doing the job as long as I do mine. Plus Wally-world carries the 3 packs at a prretty reasonable price, and ive had luck resharpenening the blades by using vice grips with a stone and then finishing them on crock stix.
Totally agree. I shoot the 85 grain and nothing has ever lived long enough to ask what I was shooting. I've broken bone with them, I've recovered and reused heads that were snapped off with some shaft in the animal. Short off hitting rocks after they pass through game, I've had zero issue with the Thunderhead. They are available just about anywhere, and they are very cost friendly. My best friend turned me on to them a few years back because they flew so well for a fixed head. Cheers and Happy New Year all.

I was stuck between Slick Tricks and Steel Force Phat Heads. Both look to be excellent heads, but went with the Phat Heads and love them! They fly great and are super tough with a great guarantee. Nothing but cut-on-contact for me. Hope to get good enough with my recurve to hunt with it soon, and I'm sure the Phat Heads will be what I go with for it too.

Muzzy 75gr and swithcing to 100gr this year.

No more mechanicalc for me. I tried them years ago several deffrent brands, if they hit bone other than rib bone they bley apart. And they dont always fly like field points either.

I will stick with Muzzy, good quality and about 1/2 the price of other quality broad heads. My son uses 100gr Thunderheads and loves them. My other son uses 75gr Muzzy and shooth clean through every deer (5) and he wont switch.

The said:
I'm switching to http://www.simmonssharks.com/node/2 the as the gallery pictures are evident of what they do. I will be re-adjusting my sights for the 165-gr Land Shark BH as seen on the web page as SB-20
What monster are you hunting that you will need a 165gr broadhead?

Buckskin said:
The said:
I'm switching to http://www.simmonssharks.com/node/2 the as the gallery pictures are evident of what they do. I will be re-adjusting my sights for the 165-gr Land Shark BH as seen on the web page as SB-20
What monster are you hunting that you will need a 165gr broadhead?
No monster needed, if you look at the site and would like to give Dave a call he can explain everything to you. The 165 gr is the most popular BH they have, even though the 125 gr would work just fine probably and that is the one I probably will use anyway. I have to buy new arrows anyway if I'm going up to the 125 gr anyway. Both of these will work just fine for complete pass throughs, as I know some one that has been testing these in the 125 gr Land Sharks.

Jerry Simmons who created these some 30 odd years ago, just last year in his young age of 78 took 8 whitetails down south.

G5 MONTEC for me 100grain. I shot a doe a couple weeks back, and it passed through so fast I wasn't sure if I hit her or missed. Got the arrow home laid out a stone sharpened the head back up in about a minute back to razor sharp. A buddy of mine shot 6 hogs in Texas with the same Montec before he had to throw it out.

Update from 2011 season. I took two deer with Slick Trick brand heads this year. One with a 100 grain Magnum and one with a 100 grain GrizzTrick. Both performed astoundingly well. GrizzTrick deer was down and out in less than 20 yards.

Yep, those slick tricks are the ticket. Last buck I shot didn't go 15yds and fell over dead, just tore up both lungs. Although I think he got to the fenceline and knew he wouldn't make it across the field so he didn't bother...

I have some new old stock Thunder Head 125 grain 3 blades that I picked up at a gun show for a couple o' bucks per pack. I got two packs of 3 because they were almost free, and they reminded me of the Rocky Mountains I used to use years ago. I will be putting them on my Easton 2117's with new flights that I have had for many, many years and will be shooting these out of my early 80's era Browning Cobra 60# compound as soon as it gets a little cooler.

Cummon boys! Update this thread with some info on mechanicals. ;D Else I may just outfit myself with some old Muzzies! ;)

The Ulmer Edge, by Trophy Taker is a good rear-deploy alternative to Rage broadheads. The design is pretty bulletproof. I'm also a big fan of Grim Reapers. Wasp Jak-Hammers are a good alternative to the Grim Reapers - They just use an O-ring to retain the blades, rather than a spring. I think they're priced a little cheaper too. All that being said, I still have some Magnus Stingers in my quiver. There's something to be said for keeping it simple. I have a pack of Dirtnap DRT's that I just picked up. I haven't had a chance to test them yet, but they look pretty impressive.

I'm just switched to the Rage Slip Cam 100 grain rear deploying broadheads. Three reasons. 1) they come with a practice tip that is identical to the closed broadhead so your broadheads actually do fly identical to the practice tip and hit to the same point of aim! 2) they have a 1.75" cutting diameter and 3) my son has been using them with stellar success. :)

141 - 160 of 164 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.