Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What bullet do you prefer when reloading for a 30-30. I am looking for a round to use for deer hunting. I saw these listed at midsouth and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them:

HORNADY 30 CAL .308 DIA. 130GR SPIRE POINT SINGLE SHOT PISTOL 100CT

I also have a 14" barrel if it matters.

Thanks for the help.

tipiguy

·
Registered
152 Posts
That bullet ought to do the trick. Several folks have posted good reports about the 125 gr. Nosler BT in their Contenders. If your shots are under 100 yds. or so, the 150 gr. Remington 30-30 bullet is a good performer.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I load that bullet as well as several others for the .300 Whisper..it is very accurate..although I have not taken a head of game with it yet..

·
Registered
192 Posts
.30-30 bullets.

My first T/C barrel was a used .30-30 Super 14. The guy I bought it from had used the Hornady 130 grn Single Shot Pistol bullet you are talking about on 10-12 deer size animals - with very good success! Various deer, pronghorn, & a Dall Sheep ram - taken from 50 -300 yards. Most were shot about 100-150 yards distance, he never recovered a bullet, yet they all left sign of expansion. He felt that combo is a solid 200 yard gun on deer size critters. I definately take is word, he has handgun hunted numerous animals all over the world!! His load is as follows:

130 grn Hornady SSP bullet
38 grn WW748 powder
CCI 200 primer
(aprox. 2100 fps)

Find a accurate load for your barrel, practice, & go hunting!!
Del

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I am shooting Seirra 135 gr. Single Shot Postol bullets in mine. Just now working up loads and have never shot anything with it yet. I always shoot Hornadys in everything but went with the Seirra's because I thought I needed an extra 5 gr. of bullet. 5 gr. really does not make enough difference to worry about, just sounded good in my mind at the time.

I did have to have Redding send me a new bullet seating stem because the standard one was not long enough to seat the bullet without crimping. They did this free of charge. I also had to seat the bullet deeper than the Seirra Book said to get it off the rifling. Don't know if this is the case with the Hornady and your die set or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone ever tried Speer .308 125 grain HP TNT in the 30-30? I saw 500 for 51$ and thought about trying them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey wheelgun! Did you try them on game? I think it would make a decent varmint load if the velocity is up around 2700 fps.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Don't overlook the Remington 150 gr RN CL bullet. My tests on gallon milk jugs filled with water show it to be devastating out of my 300 Whisper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts