Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how will my 400 gr lee bullet at 1100 fps work for 150 to 200 lb deer out to 75 yrds? I don't think there will be any expansion, but that big flat nose should transfer alot of energy. just wondering if I am going to break them down fast, or if I am just going to poke a caliber size hole through it then let it run and bleed out. bullet placement will be no problem! using this bullet would you take a sholder or heart shot?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
the softer the bullet, the bigger the hole! If you use linotype or heat treated wheel weights don't expect expansion.very few bullets from a shoulder fired arm will knock a deer down.They may fall in sight or a few yards away. I would think a bullet such as you describe should do great at the range you plan on using it. jh :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
400 grain bullet at 1100 fps.

Hey tree rat: :-D

What caliber gun are you shooting?

I use a 405 grain bullet cast out of wheel weights in my 45-70. The velocity is around 1400 fps.

Generally speaking, the deer I shoot with this bullet are at less than 100 yards and the results are devastating. I hunt my deer in heavy cover so can't afford to let them run far. The dozen deer I have shot either drop on the spot or run no further than 20-30 yards. The blood trail is good and easy to follow. I load the bullet so it will go out the opposite side, leaving a good blood trail.

I try to shoot my deer behind the shoulder, in the lungs or heart, as a shoulder shot ruins too much meat. As for expansion, my bullets don't expand. You don't need a bullet that is already going in at almost a half inch in diameter to expand. Just make sure the bullet goes in one side and out the other.

By the way, I would not hesitate to use this loas on moose.

Kindest regards,

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Treerat,
If you hit them right, they will go down like a ton of bricks. I use a 305 grain flat nosed 44 mag, run it a little faster than you at about 1350fps, but out to 120 yards or so it will put a golfball sized hole in all the way through pigs to 225 pounds and whitetails to 200 lbs. Everything it hits dies before it knows it.

regards,
Graycg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts