Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we need to stir up some activity here so I got another question. Anybody fish old cane? new cane? any fiberglass rods in use? what's your favorite material for your rods? length? weight?

I lost my Winston last year when my truck burned. It was the 8'9" 5 piece 5-wt. WONDERFUL. Lost my Hardy reel along with it. Now I have my Heddon, SB and a Montegue, all 9' 5-7wt. The SB throws a 5 the best of the bunch, the Heddon a 6. The Monty, well, it's ok and I can go with a 7wt and do ok on medium bass. It's my mud stick.

Also have a Steve Blake 6'3" 3/4wt that I really like. It needs a 4 to load. I tried that triangle taper and it was like using a plank.

For the bigger ones I have a Sage SP 9' 8wt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love the older Orvis HLS "bighorn special" 9 ft. 5 wt. 2 piece. Used on small Bones in the Bahamas to a 24" "bow" on a size22 fly on the San Juan last Spring. Great all-round rod. Also Orvis 7'9" Far and Fine for small streams (5 wt.)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got a new T&T LPS 4wt the other day. Was looking for a blank to build something and got this new w/war. for $50 less than a blank on sale. No tubes with the blanks, either, so I saved even more. Trying to get out in the next week or two to try it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
new cane and fiber glass

scott 6 ft 6 fiber glass 3 weight
new cane rod i built 8 ft 5 weight
and an avid 6 ft 6 4 wt that i love

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, here it is November and I haven't been on the water in over 2 years now. If I had gotten my pond redone like I was supposed to I'd be fishing it now.

As it is I'm all set to hunt by the old barn and pond. I just don't have time to go off anywhere anymore, even for a day.

Talked to the guy that is supposed to do the digging and he still may this winter. If I get it going all of you TN, KY and AL guys need to plan to come by for a visit the summer 2005 for a little C&R on my new pond. I'm hoping it will be about 3 acres. Might have some pound to pound and a half cats by then to cook up. I imagine the bass will be getting close to 12" but need to go back in to grow. I'm hoping the pond will be big enough for crappie and bluegills. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I fish nothing but cane new/old matters not. I quit graphite after experiencing numerous unreasonable failures. The older fiberglass glass rods were almost bullet proof but one had to look long and hard to find one with a good action. I only have 30/40 flyrods and not a single graphite. Most everyone who fishes seriously for big fish with flyrods have moved back to glass rods.
Dale

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
I have fished with a 8' Daiwa 7wt fiberglass rod and a pair of "Sportfisher 44" reels (wich are K-mart brand clones of the Pflueger Medalist) that I bought 25 or 26 years ago when I was in high school. One reel is spooled with a WF/F line the other a DT/F for a more delicate presentation. Although I have caught a few trout with it I use it mostly for Bass & pan fish. I also have an old 9' 10 wt glass Garcia "Royal Javelin" & Winchester reel set up as an inshore saltwater outfit. And just this past weekend I picked up a "Dogwood Canyon" (Bass Pro Shop's brand) 7' 4wt outfit (graphite blank) that will take over most of the small panfish & crappy fishing. If you know where to fish and how to fish, your equipment doesn't have to be high tech or high dollar. I've tried some of those high dollar, high graphite content, high speed fairy wands and I can't cast them worth a darn. I'm so used to my old slow to moderate action glass rods.

Brett

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
Most of mine are old fiberglass and cane rods, I have many old brands that went out of business 50 years ago, even have a metal fly rod. As for new stuff, Just a scott 6wt and a st. croix 4 wt. The croix is loaded with 6 wt, feels like a good limber UL now. I have a good time with the old limber rods. I feel the same as taxmiser. The snobbish fellows seem to think if you don't have a graphite you have a sorry rod. Mine are just reserved for light fish, all my salt water action is handled by very old south bend, orvis, fenwick, scott, loomis and tipper rods. I didn't have a problem getting the fly to them, just getting them in with the stiff rod. Now I use 2 weights under the recomended graphite rod and have a ball.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The list runs from 2weight to 9weight.

Lamiglass 700, 9' 2 wt, 2 pc

Cabela's 3 Forks 7' 6" 3 wt, 3 pc

H&H 7' 4 wt, 2pc

Loomis GL3 7'6" 4 wt, 3pc

Fenwick Fenglass 6' 5 wt, 2pc

Orvis TLS 9' 6wt, 2 pc

Sage RPL 9' 6wt, 4pc

Sierra Classic Custom Rods 8'6" 7wt, 2pc

Redington 9' 8/9 wt, 2pc

Scott STS 9' 9wt, 3pc

Lately I have been fishing the Loomis GL3 4wt the most (bream, bass), along with the Cabela's 3 Forks 3wt ( a REALLY NICE casting rod for about $50).

In the salt I have been using the Redington, the Scott (a REAL CANON) and the 7wt Sierra.

When I lived in Alaska, the Sage 4pc 6wt got the most use.

Fly rods are like rifles, you can never have ENOUGH.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Temple Fork Professional series
8' 6" 5wt.

I have to send it back to get it repaired (car window accident), so I am using my fiance's rod... exact same rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts