Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
I'm sure you'll get conflicting opinions on that subject. I'm of the opinion it's more bad than good. The only hammer spring I've ever had break was a replacement. Unless you and your gun are capable of sub 1/4 MOA performance I just don't honestly believe a faster lock time will help your shooting. Even then likely only freehand or from wobbly rests.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A very qualified gunsmith told me that a G2 that he modified for trigger pull bent the hammer after dry firing about ten times using a heavier hammer spring. He told me to stick with the stock hammer spring.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
A heaver hammer spring will increase the trigger pull a little more than undoing any good done by a faster lock time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
unless things have changed, your not suppose to dry fire an Encore. it destroys the firing pin rebound spring. if the weapon fires ok, leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I would never replace the hammer spring to increase lock speed. As Graybeard said, you'll never notice a difference in your shooting accuracy. I do believe, however, that a heavier spring may help in igniting primers if you're having a problem with poor ignition.

Also, as Paladin said, you're not supposed to dry fire Encores or Contenders.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Increasing your hammer spring tension is going to change your point of aim. (I found this out at NRA Nationals in 1997. My spring broke and was replaced with a new one.) It is also going to wear on your firing pin and firing pin spring more. NO good will out weight the bad points here.

You can dry fire the Contender all you want. Just don't cock the hammer. Opening and closing the action will set the trigger. You can check trigger pull, creep, etc without ever having to cock the hammer.

Steve :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Steve said:
Increasing your hammer spring tension is going to change your point of aim. (I found this out at NRA Nationals in 1997. My spring broke and was replaced with a new one.) It is also going to wear on your firing pin and firing pin spring more. NO good will out weight the bad points here.

You can dry fire the Contender all you want. Just don't cock the hammer. Opening and closing the action will set the trigger. You can check trigger pull, creep, etc without ever having to cock the hammer.

Steve :)
Steve,
I'm going to assume since his handle is Encoreguy that he has an Encore so he can't experience his trigger pull without cocking the hammer. I love that feature on the Contender and wish they would have kept it on the Encore and G2 Contender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts