Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for something to ship out the Barrels I recently Sold and Wondered if someone has the "Best" Idea in Mind?
A box seems a little flimsy, and I think a PVC Tube would draw too much attention.
I never shipped out any before and would like some advice.
Hope this Okay to post here as I did not know where a Good place would be.
Thanks. Paul

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
I use a cardboard tube and a appropriate amount of bubble wrap and extra cardboard at the ends of the barrel. Then wrap everything in fiber tape then 2" clear packing tape on top of that. I also go extra and cover all labels with more 2" clear tape to protect the addresses form smudging.

CW

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I use leftover ad poster boxes from work - retail parts store. These boxes are long and skinny, and I cut them down to suit. I always tape a fold of heavy cardboard over the crown of the barrel and the breech, since these are the most succeptable to damage.

·
Super Moderator
50,885 Posts
One caution on using the triangle USPS Priority/Express, if the barrel is too loosely packed or the packing compresses allowing the barrel to move, it can punch thru the box and end up loose in the mail, Mac learned this the hard way on a barrel he shipped that never arrived with the box. :'(

I use heavy duty cardboard tubes with a ¾" plywood plug cut with a hole saw and sanded to fit the end of the tube, then secure it with sheet rock screws and tape over the screws. Wrap the barrel in bubble wrap with enough packing and packed on each end so it can't move. I've also used the plastic caps w/screws, but the wood ends are bullet proof.

Tim

·
Administrator
26,041 Posts
Speaking of calling too much attention. I was at the Post Office one day and watched a gal ahead of me in line waiting for them to bring a package from in back to her. When it came that had to be the oddest looking package I've ever seen.

It was gray PVC in two sections with a coupler in between and end caps on both ends. I have no clue how long it was but I'd say those dimensions had to have maxed out what the PO will accept. Just guessing I'd say it ws 2.5" or so diameter but had to be at least 10' to 12' long minimum. From the way they handled it I'd guess it was quite light and that the vast majority of the weight was the PVC.

It wasn't my business so I didn't ask but ya gotta know I was wondering what the heck was inside it.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Graybeard said:
Speaking of calling too much attention. I was at the Post Office one day and watched a gal ahead of me in line waiting for them to bring a package from in back to her. When it came that had to be the oddest looking package I've ever seen.

It was gray PVC in two sections with a coupler in between and end caps on both ends. I have no clue how long it was but I'd say those dimensions had to have maxed out what the PO will accept. Just guessing I'd say it ws 2.5" or so diameter but had to be at least 10' to 12' long minimum. From the way they handled it I'd guess it was quite light and that the vast majority of the weight was the PVC.

It wasn't my business so I didn't ask but ya gotta know I was wondering what the heck was inside it.

I bet one peice fishing rod ;D

·
Administrator
26,041 Posts
Maybeso but if so it was longer than any rod I own. I wish I could have measured the length of that thing as it sure was long.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
All of the barrels I have bought here on GBO , have if anything been over packaged ;D. Everyone was shipped USPS in round tubes or the triangle boxes. Because of the conscience of people in here I would not venture a guess as to how to ship anything any better!!Many of the shipping companies and large businesses could learn a lesson from the guys in here!
Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I just buy a lot of barrels and recycle the tubes, boxes, etc. Got 1 sent to me packed Quickdtoo style. Wow, that was amazing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use the 3" tubes from the UPS store with the plastic end caps and pack enough newspaper in there to keep things from moving and extra wads on the ends and then tape the plastic ends really well. I'll have to get some larger tubes sent to my post office here locally because all they seem to have are the 2" tubes.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I manufacture my own "boxes!" From cardboard sheets, even from pieces of matress boxes van lines might move your box springs or mattress for your bed!

For barrels I make long rectangular boxes so the post office CANNOT call them "a tube" and charge maximum postage (for a "square tube" for example).

To ship a 22inch barrel for example, if I want my "box" to be 2" X 3" X 23", I will start with a flat piece of cardboard 12 inches X 27 inches!

I the draw with a straight edge, with pen or pencil the 12inch wide dimension seperating it into strips (not cutting it!) that are 2inches, 3inches, 2inches, 3inches and 2inches! The lines represent where the cardboard will be folded. I also draw lines cross-wise two inches from the ends, to determinewhere the4 end flaps will folded, and corners of cardboard will be cut out.

Basically the "box" is like a loooooong rectangular cube or box, and packed with ample cardboard taped over the barrel muzzle and breech so it cannot move around at all once its boxed up "tight."

I often wrap the box in paper grocery bag - like wrapping a birthday present, but to eliminatte any writing or logos and also to discourage the Post Office from opening and snooping through the package.

I ALWAYS tell the postal clerk the items is "tools" besides being non-breakable, non-flammable, non-perishable, etc. SO FAR I HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM "SHIPPING" BARRELS!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
well I bought a barrel from Tim with the PO cardboard tube and the 3/4 plywood plugs secured with drywall screws and that set-up is pretty much indestructable....so that's the way i've been doin it since. BTW wreckhog, I think you were my first victim :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts