Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got whacked pretty good buy my 450 marlin last night( my own fault had a bad shooting position) and it made me realize how much recoil there is when shooting from the bench. So I'm trying to find out what people are using with their heavy recoil guns when sighting in or practicing

·
Registered
15 Posts
When shooting from the bench I use a rest that hooks over the front of the table and restricts rearward movement of the rifle.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Marlin Lever Action Centerfire Rifles

Fotest Walker

I've found a past recoil pad is about the best way to shoot the 45-70. The loads i shoot with my 45-70s is about the same as the 450. Its best to keep your rifle as high as possable. If you have a shooting table put some thing like a box ar suit case or some thing to give you some more elevation. If you are standing in the upright position the recoil is not near as brutal .........Joe.........

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
:cb2: 'Bout the only way to really tone down recoil . . . is to shoot a .30-30!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I see alot of people leanning forward into a rifle of heavy caliber that is asking for a kicking. Try sitting up straighter so the recoil pushes your shoulder back instead of taking it on the top shoulder muscel pushing your whole body. I also shoot reduced loads find a low velocity lead bullet load and plink away. If your insistent of the heavy stuff, purchase a jacket with the pad in the shoulder they do help. In most hunting situations people have on some type of hunting coat or jacket , it is benificial to practice with these on just so you can learn to slide the gun into your shoulder with out catching clothing.

woods

·
Registered
45 Posts
I try to shoot my 1895G somewhere other than the bench. If I am checking a new load and need to use the bench, I'll slip a sand bag between me and the butt if it is going to take more than 3 shots to do my test.

I also hang on fairly tight.

I prefer to shoot from a seated position(away from the bench), again with a fairly tight grip and let my upper body roll with the recoil.

These guns will hammer a guy, no way around that with the full power loads. Once you get a good hunting load or 2 worked out you might do most of your casual shooting with reduced loads. They are easyer on the rifle as well. I already had a crack repaired on the butt stock of mine. :lol:

Rick

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Forest Walker - get yourself a PAST Recoil Shield and your problems will be over. I have used on of those for the past couple of years and now won't even go to the range without it.

It really proved its worth when I had to go through almost 1K rounds of heavy 444 to find a heavy load for Boar and Elk. Now I use it with every rifle I shoot from the bench. HTH. Mikey.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a pacemaker/defribulator in my left shoulder, and shoot left handed. On my 30-30, I put a Sims Limbsaver pad for hunting, and when on the bench I also use a Past pad. Don't even hardly know when the little 30 goes off. Don't want to mess up $100k worth of electronics.

·
Registered
855 Posts
At the range, I also use a Past sissy pad, but in the field I don't use anything. Funny how shooting at game distracts the mind, as I don't feel recoil, or hear how loud the report is when I'm shooting game!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Old Griz said:
:cb2: 'Bout the only way to really tone down recoil . . . is to shoot a .30-30!
yup a 30-30 aint got much punch but my 1895 will make you notice
fairly quick to pay attention but i use a limbsaver on the 1895 and to kicks like a 30-30 dont fit the just exact but it serves its purpose

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
marlinman93 said:
At the range, I also use a Past sissy pad, but in the field I don't use anything. Funny how shooting at game distracts the mind, as I don't feel recoil, or hear how loud the report is when I'm shooting game!
I never notice any ill effects from recoil or noise when hunting. May be natures way of telling me to hunt more.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Someone mentioned a Limbsaver recoil pad above. I've used about 12 of them now and have never had a recoil pad come anywhere close to reducing felt recoil the way the Limbsaver pads do. You should also use one of the "sissy" pads (either just strapped on or mounted in a shooting vest/jacket) for benchrest shooting at the range. When bench shooting, you are in a bad position for absorbing recoil so it's better to keep it out of your mind with padding. If you shoot in benchrest position with big recoiling guns enough, it will make you flinch. This screws up any testing you might be doing at the range and can also make you flinch in the field, possibly ruining a shot of a lifetime. I bet with a Limbsaver recoil pad on the gun and a pad on your shoulder, you won't even think about recoil anymore, which is how it should be.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Forest Walker;
I've been thinking of getting a "Caldwell" "Lead Sled"!

I've put out a couple of "feelers", but it must be that not too many people have used them, at least I haven't gotten much response!

I've seen them advertised on the Outdoor Channel, and Gander Mountain has them on sale right now for $120.00!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The guys that regulate the barrels of the big double rifles, do so from a standing bench, allowing the whole body to absorb the recoil.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I put one of the Limbsaver slip-on recoil pads right over the original pad on the 1895GS.....now, I've got two recoil pads and they really tone down the recoil.

It does add a little length of pull, but I've found it to be inconsequential.

hog

·
Registered
61 Posts
At the range I use a PAST shoulder pad. Can't do without it. Matter of fact I have one pad in each of my cars just in case I forget to pack.

In the woods, nothing.

Danny Boy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do not seem to have the recoil problems that are being discussed with my Marlin 1895G 45-70. As a matter of fact, I would say that the recoil is no more than a 30-06. My Marlin is ported, and has a recoil pad which is how I thought all of them were purchased. What I added is a military sling that I wrap my arm in when I fire the piece. This really keeps the rise down and it really does not punch me in the shoulder at all. You may want to try this. I purchased an Uncle Mikes leather military sling for about $21.00 at local sports shop. I guess after 23 years in the Corps, this is not too bad. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts