Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could be brain dead here. I thought I asked this before. I went through back posts and can not find where I did. Anyways I will be forced to hunt with a 243 this White Tail season. What is the best factory ammo for White Tails? I am maybe thinking 100 grain Hornady BTSP. Or maybe Remington Coreloks. Please let me know what you like. I am coming up on time to sight my rifle in on a deer ammo. Thanks in advance Dale.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The only 243 round I will use is the Fusion 95gr. Very effective and always get a pass thru and have never lost a deer. I also stay away from the shoulder on whitetail as to not spoil any meat. If you haven't ever tried the Fusion give it a try. Totally awesome.

·
Super Moderator
51,249 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guy's you better sit down for this. Are you sitting? For one reason or another. Most times I never saw a buck. I have saw a few in my time in the woods but never got a good shot. There was one season I counted like 22 doe in one day and no bucks. I hope this is the year I finally get a buck. What ticks me off is I have been hunting many years. ( I did miss about 10 or 12 years of hunting though ) I have yet to get my first buck or doe for that matter. There is no reason whats so ever that if I see one I can kill it without a problem. I guesse I am jinxed. My brother also hunted many years and never got one. I nearly got one about 5 years ago. It was a 12 point by the time I pulled the rifle up he crested the hill. There were other hunters watching the field and they got him when he ran into it. I feel like I am wasting my time but I will get one before I die. I really don't care what the rack is like anymore. Dale

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
This is your year Dale, I somehow know that. Walk slow and quiet and look around a lot. And do not wait for a big one, get the first legal one you see and can shoot and the others will come....<><....:)

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MSP said:
This is your year Dale, I somehow know that. Walk slow and quiet and and look around a lot. And do not wait for a big one, get the first legal one you see and can shoot and the others will come....<><....:)
Boy I hope you are right. I have done what you have said for years and all I have seen was does. The thing is I am set up for long range. I have a Mueller 8.5x25x44 scope on my rifle now. It would be a bad set up in the woods even turned down to the lowest power. That is why I am thinking I need to hunt the same fields I have all summer for Groundhogs. I have saw many deer through out the summer in these fields. I know the ranges and if I see one I do know just the hold over. Dale

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
You'll break the ice this year Dale. Good luck and shoot straight

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No like an idiot I did not apply for doe tags this year. Dale

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has made anyhting better than Remington core loct. If they shoot in your rifle use em. And deer aren't that tough of a critter a .243 is plenty.

·
Banned
949 Posts
Dale,
You need to drive down US Highway 290 from Austin to Fredricksburg, Tx. I guarantee you will get a deer of some sort on your front bumper.
One of my brother's neighbors got 4 on a trip to Sanderson. He shot 2 near Sanderson and got one going each way with the front of his Suburban. ;D

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is another thing that blows my mind. If you were to take a ride down I 70 during deer season. You would see a dead one every mile or so on the side of the hi way. Dale

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
OK Dale, check out what ironduke has posted and apply...shoot that doe and enjoy good eating....<><....:)

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Dale, there is a buck out there with your name on it!

Sorry, but this one (Blacktail) is on the West side of the Island, outside my window yesterday...

Bill

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
That is a great picture and must be nice to see outside your window OR-E-Gun Bill, thanks for sharing.

Dale now the only question is where to shoot him. I always like a neck shot but I would think right between the D and A in "DALE" and drop about 4" and you would have a wall hanger for Pennsylvania and some meat on the table as well...keep this picture in your mind but shoot the first legal deer you see that offers you a good positive killing shot....<><....:)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts