Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently got a new Tikka T3 SS in 7mm Rem Mag and I'm going to start figuring out which factory loads work best in it for deer season. Going to the range in the next couple of weeks and wondered what factory loads you guys suggest I start with.

Thanks,
BT :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'm going with 140gr to start with. Any opinions on which bullets may be best for the 7mm Mag? Any Tikka owners know which cartriges to absolutely try or stay away from for accuracy?

·
Registered
862 Posts
The best I have found for a Rem 700 BDL is the Federal Premiums. They shoot half inch groups at 100 yds.
james

·
Registered
322 Posts
My personal experience with the Tikka in 7mag (I have 2) is limited. The first box of ammo I tried was the Hornady Light mag 139 gr. SST. They shot so well (1/2") and killed deer so well (70 yds to 318 yds) and performed so perfectly I haven't tried anything else in the past 5 years. They chrono as advertised......around 3230-3265 fps.....awesome set up.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Find out which 160gr bullet your rifle shoots best and use it on everything. If you're gonna use a 140gr bullet, why not switch to a 7-08?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Grubbs and James, I'll definitely start there. Grubbs, I hope mine shoots like that cause I'll just stop the search like you did!

Bee Man, cause I'm hoping to get results like Grubbs and I'm not sure why I need a 160 gr if a 140 does the job nicely. Also, i just got this rifle so no switching cause a 7mm is what i wanted but thanks for the suggestion.

Any other great loads for this rifle?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bucktrucker.....I'll be surprised if you don't get the same results. I hunt whitetails and mulies in the Texas Panhandle and in North Central NM. Luckily I have taken about 9 whitetails and 4 mulies with the set up and distances I talked about previously. All have been 1 shot kills. All but 2 dropped in their tracks. The one I shot at 318 yards ran 75 yards across the alfalfa patch and fell over. The biggest mulie (field dress 255 lbs) ran 60 yards an piled up. Not that I'm that great of a shot either, but this rifle will flat out shoot. These whitetail up there are not small either...dress between 150 and 218 lbs on verified scales. Bullet performance has been absolutely outstanding in every case. The only situation that concerns me a little is the longer shots (250-300) with a strong wind. Let me know how your gun shoots. I'll be very surprised if you don't gete sub 1" groups all day long. Good Luck

·
Registered
400 Posts
My 700 likes everything, so I have settled on 140's. I never cared for the range recoil, so now I practice with the Remington Recoil Management loads and they have same approx. POI as my full loads. That is great for me since I no longer have time to reload. When I hunt, recoil is not an issue.
Second tip is to have a Pachmyer Decelerator installed. I suspect it drops felt recoil by 1/4, but I have no proof. I had an old Bell & Carlsen cut off and installed the thickest pad. The gun fits perfect, even with heavy clothing. Helped my accuracy too.

pepaw

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If you were to check the ballistics, you would find that the 160 has a much better carry up (retained energy) than the 140. Also, a light for calibre bullet driven at excessive speed is apt to damage more meat than a proper weight bullet. Of course, you don't get the boy howdy look what I can do veocity that some seek in and of itself.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Some of the shots "down the sendero" in TX can be very long. A well constructed bullet shouldn't be a problem with meat damage at a longer distance.
Lighter bullet shoots flatter with less recoil. 140 still plenty for TX sized deer.

pepaw

·
Registered
322 Posts
The loads I have been shooting are plenty for any deer.....anywhere. Just like my son has proven his 7-08 (140 gr Winchester Fail Safe) is adequate for elk. He has smoked 2 so far....1 shot....both under 150 yards. Is it optimum caliber for elk...No. Will it kill elk consistently if you do your part.....absolutely. I think everyone gets hung up in this ultra mag high velocity super duper killer stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts